• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Heatsink for E6400 oced

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

manbush

What is the best heatsink for a E6400 that is 100% oced?

I looked up sycthe infinity vs Auras 775 but couldn't find any comparasion.

Has anyone comparisons of these that include the previous top-end HSF like the ninja, big typhoon, ultra-120, xp-120? Just because the infinity and tuniq tower are huuuuuge and I wondered if it was a significant difference or just a few degrees.

Just ordered a scythe inifinity...hopefully it will fit my case.

manbush said:
I will look into those.

Do you think either of them will fit in the GA-965P-DQ6 motherboard?

On stock cooling, my core 2 goes upto 82 C at 3.280ghz (up from stock 2.13ghz). What kind of temps can I expect with either of those HS?

EDIT: Is this the scythe?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835185027

I know for a fact the Ultra-120 fits a Gigabyte DS3. That and, having reviewed the Ultra-120, I know it is one of the best air coolers on the market.
Here is the review, aswell as a picture of the Ultra-120 mounted on the DS3.
http://www.hardwarelogic.com/news/62/ARTICLE/1258/4/2006-08-21.html

im a tad late coming here sorry

one Heatsink left out is the si-128, i am thinking of getting one since its not a tower. add cooling to the ram and pwm's always a plus. you will need to install ur ram first as it will cover the ram slots. yep its that wide/big, not tall like the towers.

I read in Maximum PC mag that they did a comparison between the zalman9500 and the scythe. The scythe beat out zalman by a few degrees. They turned off the fan to the heatsink and ran the processor. They said it never went over 70c fanless under load.

toddd240 said:
They turned off the fan to the heatsink and ran the processor. They said it never went over 70c fanless under load.

so meaning it was IDLING at 70c?? wow..

did they try and put a positive spin on it, or did they say it was not suitable at all for passive cooling?

btw, i'm pretty sure those temps when passive would have been a lot lower if the rig were mounted in a case that already had some decent airflow in it. if its just sitting on a test bench, with no air circulation at all, then it will be horrible, like they showed.

Daleon said:
He said under 70c load :)

the way i read it was "it never goes over 70c, unless under load"

so at idle, it could very well be at 70c flat, only going over when a load is placed on the cpu.

or are you saying in the article, they say it stays under 70c while under load?

either way, its too hot for my tastes. ;)

They both will cool about the same but I would get the Ultra-120 if I were you just becuase it's much lighter and won't strain the MB as much as the infinity.

I just installed the scythe infinity and used the paste that came with it. Running Orthos Beta and in speed fan, the temp never goes above 55C. It's oced from 2.13ghz to 3.2ghz.

Maybe the thermal paste has to set in? I was expecting temps from 45-50C but not over 50 C...

But the fan installed on the scythe is only pumping out 800rpm according to the BIOS. In Speed fan, its pumping out 4k rpm...

ve been looking for a heatsink to get when my e6300 arrives and from what i can see in these ones you guys have mentioned they are all HUGE chunks of metal that are close to a kilo in weight, now im wondering does this mean ill have to have my case on its side? cause thats alot of weight to have hanging off a mobo.

Don't worry...the scythe infinity isn't that big. The weight is all at the bottom so the vertical weight that extends out is quite small. The one thing you have to worry about is the push pins. The heatsinks vertical metal is so big you have to reach underneath and push those pins in which is REALLY hard. It was especially hard for me on the GA-965-DQ6 cause there was mobo heatsinks all around the cpu socket.

manbush said:
I will look into those.

Do you think either of them will fit in the GA-965P-DQ6 motherboard?

On stock cooling, my core 2 goes upto 82 C at 3.280ghz (up from stock 2.13ghz). What kind of temps can I expect with either of those HS?

EDIT: Is this the scythe?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835185027

82c!!! And I thought I was bad at 72c. Now with my cheap watercooler I'm down to 60c. But that's 400x7 on the E6400.

Back