• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Neon Lights

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThePunkGeek

Well am in the process of installing my window into my case and am wondering where i could get some neon lights and how much they cost.
thanks

If you have a spare molex lying around you could look for an automotive neon. It would save you about $15 but you would have to do some soldering.

as far as heat and the "overall look" what are the differences between neon lights and cathodes?

one more obvious difference is $$$....

i was looking at pc mods and saw the "sound activated" & liquid neons...does anyone have any experience with these as well? personally i think it'd have a cooler effect if it wasn't SO blazing bright and it actually "flickered" well not flickerd...but varied in light emission a bit

Last edited:
_Will_ said:
as far as heat and the "overall look" what are the differences between neon lights and cathodes?

one more obvious difference is $$$....

i was looking at pc mods and saw the "sound activated" & liquid neons...does anyone have any experience with these as well? personally i think it'd have a cooler effect if it wasn't SO blazing bright and it actually "flickered" well not flickerd...but varied in light emission a bit
Check my thread in mods, I used the automotive neon and it works great.:beer:

cold cathode puts out less heat than neon, and it is brighter. Some people, like you said, dont really like the super-bright effect. I really like the brightness and am happy with my cold. I got it off ebay for like 15-20 bucks, so thats only a bit more than the neon...

-x

_Will_ said:

Cold Cathode isn't true neon. They are CCD's. I would imagine that it is similar to the technology that makes Nightvision goggles.

okay the secret place is bgmicro for like 5.99 for the small ones need to buy an inverter to for 6 or 7 bucks so total cost should be about 18 bucks for top of the line. don't get red it is kinda pinkish. get blue or UV they are the best IMHO. 12inchers are 11 bucks.

Back