• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bashar

Hello all... Its been sometime since I thought about a new CPU and I guess alot has changed since I got my Amd 3200+. The stats in my sig are still the same other then I now have a 7800 gsoc Video card. I am now looking to upgrading my CPU only. I thought I wanted to just upgrade to a faster CPU but then I started reading threads in here and am now looking to a X2 cpu. I am not really looking to OC so it does not really matter if one OC faster then the other.

First.. this is what my mobo can handle
http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Support...board&ProductID=1881&ProductName=GA-K8NSC-939

I was looking at these
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103586

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103588

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103542

I have read alot of threads saying to take the AMD Opteron 165 but would the 170 be worth the extra $30 bucks? and the 4400+ is talked about in another thread and most people just say to take the 165 over it. But I am not sure why? just for OCing? or would the 4400+ be better in my system then the Opteron's?

Thanks for reading another what kind of CPU thread... I know there are alot of them.

i wouldnt recommend an opteron, there have been known compatability issues with certain boards and bioses, especially since you arent overclocking. id only recommend this with an ASUS or a DFI board, as far as my knowledge goes. id go for an X2 4400 if you want to splash out a bit or even an X2 3800 which is cheaper and fast enough for what you need. It will easily see the max out of your setup with room for the same in future upgrades and a little future overclocking if you like. The X2 4400 will probably be a little overkill for your system, go for the X2 3800. Only go for something better if you plan on upgrading the rest of your system in the foreseeable future

Thanks for the input......

I listed the 4400+ becasue it was a 939 and I wanted to get it from newegg.com. The 3800 thye have are listed with a AM2 socket.. so I guess that rules them out.

Its hard to find a 939 X2 3800+ anywhere. Newegg does not carry it anymore and zipzoomfly has it on back order. Anyway, the 4400+ and 3800+ are the same price ($180 +/- $10) so why not get the faster chip.

fabulouscoops said:
Its hard to find a 939 X2 3800+ anywhere. Newegg does not carry it anymore and zipzoomfly has it on back order. Anyway, the 4400+ and 3800+ are the same price ($180 +/- $10) so why not get the faster chip.

Agreed. I believe the 4400 has twice as much L2 cache as the 3800, so might as well.

Oh well after thinking about it and reading the diffrent threads I was going to get a 4400 x2 but then newegg are out of stock. So I figure that was a sign for me to get a 165. So its on its way..... I figure its $40 less and I can try some OC'ing and see what I get. No matter what its going to be better then my 3200+ (going to my wifes rig.... and her parts are going to our sons rig..... the circle of life I guess :) )

PS> This will be my first dual-core chip, and I understand you can multitask better. Will I be able to burn a DVD and still do things? right now I pretty much go do something while my computer is doing that.

Yep good choice... if you board can do 300 FSB you should be able to get 2700 MHz outta it although I have yet to get mine there. I am stuck at 280x9 right now... Hope you are prepared to lap that sucker or have better luck than me. Got mine from the Egg last week from the NJ warehouse and the IHS was so concave. I spread AS5 all over the ISH and mounted my HSF when I checked the seating it only made contact on the very edges, I could still see my finger prints in the center of the IHS! Temps were in the 60's loaded @ stock. So far I have been pretty happy with my 165... big step up from my 3500+!

Well I just got it today.. that was fast... :)

I have not OC it yet but I am glad it installed and booted windows with no troubles. It did come with a 4 pipe Heatsink and the stepping is
CCBBE-0610DPMW

I guess from other threads thats a good stepping. Now the fun part to OC it :)

The quadpipe sink is actually not bad. It doesn't dissipate full load temps super great but it really clamps down hard on the chip as you can see by the low low idle temps. Has a pretty nice delta fan on top too. Not too powerful but not wimpy either.

You should be able to handle a good amount of voltage but you aren't exactly going to be singing praise about the temps, even if its stable.

You'll be able to burn a DVD, run virus scan and still surf with your new chip. Dual cores are wonders when it comes to multi-tasking. :)

If you're new to OC'ing you might want to start with this thread for the basics - it sure helped me out:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=391768

I've been into computers for years but hadn't OC'ed until this year - man, the things I was missing. With the stock cooler you should be able to get at least 4400 X2 speeds out of it and probably more ...

Well here is what I got so far.. If I am doing something wrong please let me know.

Ht- 3x (mine goes from 1-5 and was set on 4, but on 4x I can only get the cpu to boot at 250 setting at 3x I can get it alot higher)

CPU- 280 (2.52 Ghz)
Clock ratio- x9 (it only gets from 5x to 9x)

CPU/DDR ratio- 2/1.5
DDR timming- 420

So for I can do all my 3dmark test not troubles. It runs at 30-31c idle and after playing BF 2142 for over an hour it was at 38C so I am guessing those temps are pretty good.

I am interesting in how this overclocking will work out... because I am undecided on whether to buy a Opteron 165 or a AMD X2 4400+

I would want to overclock... just want to know which one will be faster and better once I have done so...

Bashar said:
Well here is what I got so far.. If I am doing something wrong please let me know.

Ht- 3x (mine goes from 1-5 and was set on 4, but on 4x I can only get the cpu to boot at 250 setting at 3x I can get it alot higher)

CPU- 280 (2.52 Ghz)
Clock ratio- x9 (it only gets from 5x to 9x)

CPU/DDR ratio- 2/1.5
DDR timming- 420

So for I can do all my 3dmark test not troubles. It runs at 30-31c idle and after playing BF 2142 for over an hour it was at 38C so I am guessing those temps are pretty good.

She has more in it than that unless your temps are getting too high. I would say 2.7 is a sure bet.

QuietIce said:
It's all a crap-shoot and depends on what stepping you get - do you feel lucky ...? ;)
I haven't heard of anyone getting a bad 165 at this point. Order from the Egg and they will send you a good one... almost a sure bet. Got mine last week and it is @ 2.7 with some head room. :thup:

hshah said:
I am interesting in how this overclocking will work out... because I am undecided on whether to buy a Opteron 165 or a AMD X2 4400+

I would want to overclock... just want to know which one will be faster and better once I have done so...

Opteron will probably go higher, but it is still a crapshoot. X2 gives you a higher CPU multiplier which allows more flexibility and less potential problems with RAM. I'd go for the Opteron.

Do note, however, that if a superstar OC is important enough for you, it may be wiser to simply buy from a dependable overclocker who has verified a great OC on a chip, at which point whether it is an Opt or X2 will not matter. Only the results.

Back