• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

retardedly simple question, UV additive dies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ares350

these ARE just added to distilled water, right? not actually filled 100% with the additive...

they were always added to water, I know. but I havent bought this stuff in over 3 years, I dont want to be a complete idiot and find out things changed.

specificly this
http://jab-tech.com/Primochill-PC-Ice-With-UV-Red-Dye-Bomb-pr-3542.html

feel free to tell me it sucks if it does. I just need something to block corrosion and algea, and red color. what ratio is it added at if it is added to water?

Yes it is usually added as an additive not really used to fill the entire loop. You also have to watch for the type of dye to add or use becuase some will "clump" up and clog your system. :beer:

ER... No. PC-Ice is a standalone coolant to use on it's own, NOT to be mixed with water. You add the dye bomb to the bottle of PC Ice, and it becomes UV-Red reactive... or you add the dye bomb to distilled water and it becomes UV-Red reactive... you DON'T mix the PC-Ice with water.

What you're looking at there is a standalone coolant that comes accompanied with a dye, mix the two together. No water involved at all.

If all your wanting to do is Dye distilled water, than all you need is the UV Reactive Dye, which is this: http://jab-tech.com/UV-Dye-Red-pr-3532.html and you generally only need to add AT MOST 5ml of dye to your system for it to be effective. Any more will result in staining, and after periods of time it'll leave powdery deposits on system internals.

oh...hmmm

so then, how do you get red and avoid corrosion and algea?

I guess the pc ice does that, but gotta use it exclusively?

looks to be maybe 2 cups of pc ice there for 20bucks... certainly wont fill a loop, cant mix it with water to fill it up.

any suggestions?

Isnt a uv reactive dye just a flurophore a particle that accepts energy in the form of light of a particular wave lenght ie UV then releases that energy as a lower form of energy?

Not a clue - outside of my profession...

All I know is EVERY UVDye I've used in a watercooling setup has eventually separated itself from the solution (ie: Color/effect has dimmed) and become a powdery residue lining the internals of everything within that loop to the point that the tubing and reservoirs effectively need binning and replacing...
I avoid using them (UV Dyes) these days.

so what do you use?

I have clear tubing, I dont actually have any UV lights, I just want red, and it so happens all the red I found is UV reactive as well.

its in a coolermaster, and the only lighting is blue, so between the fact there are no windows, and blue wont really light up UV reactive stuff... I just want some color, ya know? kind of a theme I got going on, and the water loop is supposed to be red. unfortunately hydrx is green.

Many moons ago I just used a few drops of Leak detector used for auto's(UV reactive) and a few drops of blue food coloring. System ran trouble free for a few years. :)
Nice shade of Yoda green ,, lol

I might add that adding antifreeze lowers the efficiency of the cooling system.
But I suppose most of you guys knew that.

Last edited:
so what do you use?

I have clear tubing, I dont actually have any UV lights, I just want red, and it so happens all the red I found is UV reactive as well.

its in a coolermaster, and the only lighting is blue, so between the fact there are no windows, and blue wont really light up UV reactive stuff... I just want some color, ya know? kind of a theme I got going on, and the water loop is supposed to be red. unfortunately hydrx is green.

I don't use anything. If I want colored look, I use colored hose.

I might add that adding antifreeze lowers the efficiency of the cooling system.
But I suppose most of you guys knew that.

Adding ANYTHING to distilled water lowers the efficiency of the cooling system, not just antifreeze.

Back