• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yet another critique my Conroe build thread :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stockhatch

Ok, so after reading till my eyes bleed trying to sort out a new parts list, here is what I have:

E6600
P5W DH
2x1GB Ballistix D9s
8800GTS
2xRaptor 74GB
ST75ZF
Tuniq Tower
Lian Li PCA16-B

Is all this stuff actually gonna work together? With all the new boards popping out for the public to beta test I want stuff that will actually POST without any engineering on my part. Suggestions on any and all components or alternatives are welcome as long as they are at or below the cost of the current parts.

Thanks!

Last edited:
How much does all that total upto? I'm almost thinking of getting a similar setup.

Atari said:
How much does all that total up to? I'm almost thinking of getting a similar setup.

Right around $1700 shipped.

EDIT: Sorry, I should point out that I already have one Raptor, so around $1850 to duplicate it...

have fun. :)

i would add, if you've got phase like your avatar suggests, and you are going to be benching this rig, you might want to get some ram with D9's. lots of info around here on em. ;)

That should be fine, you don't really *need D9 for an e6600 but if you're not getting D9 just be sure to save some money - no point in not getting D9 while spending $270+.

HBB- what happened to the frog? :(

Ya if you are going to be running phase and plan on doing some serious benchmarking the D9s are for you. You are going to be wanting that 500mhz+ once you've got the rig under some super cooling. I think the cheapest set of memory out right now with the D9 ICs are the Crucial Ballistix. I think over at zipzoomfly they've got a great deal going on them but it's only for a short time.

Looks great... well, except the PSU. That Corsair 620HX has three 18 amp +12v rails. You'd think for the price it would be better. For about the same price you could get this awesome PC & Cooling 610 which is 49 amps on a single +12v rail.

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S61EPS&view=about

You never mentioned whether you are going to use phase cooling. If so, you might consider investing in the E6700 instead.

Thanks for the suggestions all. FYI, this will be an air cooled rig for now. I don't feel like risking expensive parts to condensation. I also have some water gear, but if I can hit anywhere around 3.2-3.6 on air, I'll be very happy. 3.2 on the 8x multi would run that RAM to spec, and should be a pretty sweet setup.

Batboy, thanks for the link. Ill check out that PSU. I was looking at the Corsair unit due to its 120mm fan, but as long as the PCP&C is quiet I dont mind switching to the more powerful PSU.

EDIT: I forgot, I also want modular cables... I think Ill stick with the Corsair unless you guys know of a better modular for the price. BTW, I do plan on another 8800 and an SLI mobo once they get all the bugs worked out of them.

Last edited:
batboy said:
Looks great... well, except the PSU. That Corsair 620HX has three 18 amp +12v rails. You'd think for the price it would be better. For about the same price you could get this awesome PC & Cooling 610 which is 49 amps on a single +12v rail.

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S61EPS&view=about

You never mentioned whether you are going to use phase cooling. If so, you might consider investing in the E6700 instead.
That or a Zippy.

Modualar and big on amps.. Silvertone ST75F or ST85F but modular dropps you down to a OEM thats not as preimum.. and you only get multi rails :-/
I would REALLY rather recomend badboy's reco.. (more single 12V rail amps were dual 8800's will need it)

Hay.. BB.. OW says that the corsair is actually a single rail unit split
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=4896895&postcount=22

Last edited:
greenmaji said:
Modualar and big on amps.. Silvertone ST75F or ST85F but modular dropps you down to a OEM thats not as preimum.. and you only get multi rails :-/
I would REALLY rather recomend badboy's reco.. (more single 12V rail amps were dual 8800's will need it)

Hay.. BB.. OW says that the corsair is actually a single rail unit split
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=4896895&postcount=22

I don't know. Decisions decisions. Do I need the modular cables? No. They sure are convenient though... Also, I read that the PCP&C is pretty long. Making it that much more difficult to work with. OTOH I dont want to buy the Corsair and then have to upgrade it to go SLI or Kentsfield... Though I doubt even the PCP&C would be enough for 8800s in SLI and an OCd Kentsfield...

This is why I hate building new PCs.

Thanks. I figured it would be plenty, but my last couple systems required upgrading the PSU halfway through which sucked! Now I'm all about PSU overkill, but I don't want to spend $200 if I don't have to...

batboy said:
If it is really true the Corsair is a single rail unit, then go for it.

It's true - read the jonnyGURU review of it ;)

There are three sets of 12v wires coming out of it, and the label says it's a triple, but that's as far as it goes. The overload protection normally used to divide the rails in a unit like this is missing with jumper wires installed. Seasonic did it with Intel's blessing, but didn't feel like paying $25k per model to recertify it with the UL for single.

I think the johnnyGURU of the Antec Trio points out the same thing...advertised as 3 rails, is actually one. Are they the same OEM?

Back