• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e6600 build! Advice?(first build in a while!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dethshaft

Hey everyone,

This will be my first build since my old Athlon 64 system :) . I have been researching like mad and I spec'd out these parts:

CPU: e6600
Mobo: Asus P5W DH DLX
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 1066 (2x1GB)
GPU: 8800gts (640 GB)
Power Supply: Corsair 620w
HDD's: OS 74gb Raptor; Storage, Seagate Barricuda 7200.10 500GB
Case: Antec P182
Sound: Creative X-fi xtremegamer
Cooling: Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme w/Scythe S-Flex 120mm fan

Of course the RAM and mobo/cpu combo are the toughest things to determine, but how does this look? Thanks!

Dean

Looks good but I would suggest you move up to the 150gb raptor, then you have some breathing room, even storing everything on the bigger drive. I would still opt for the 150gb

After looking at your sig thats one of the things you already have .

Ram $107

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231087

When ddr3 comes out ddr2 is gonna drop if this RAM is holding you back you could upgrade then.

Build cheap. Build often. Thats my motto.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply!

Yes I am reusing my 74 GB Raptor (too good not too :) ) If I need to buy a bigger app drive I can always do it later on.

Also I was looking at that RAM as well. I forgot to mention I will be OC'ing this baby (as soon as I get a grip on it haha, n00b). That would be a better choice than the Tracers? I am trying to avoid memory limitations but like I said I an new to this platform and it's easier to learn when I have things to play with!

BTW, what is cheap, and what is often in this hobby/business?

Dean

well for starters you really dont need ddr2-1006. as you could just run a 1:1 ratio with some ddr2-800 ram. more then likly your not going to even top out the ddr2-800 on 1:1 depeding on where the E6600 lands for a oc. i would however suggest a E6420 with Abit Quad GT. this way you can make use of that high speed ram and still save some money for other things, like a new HD. the E6420 still has 4mb's of L2 but you get a lower multi so you can use the higher fsb when ocing. It also has been shown the E6420 are clocking slightly better then the E6600's, its stil the luck of the draw though.

So e6420 with faster ram and higher FSB (hopefully) or;

e6600 with slower ram

tough choice as I am not 100% sure which would be better for me. Obviously the latter choice is probably the safer way to reach a higher clock.

if I did go with the e6420, I would have to decide between the Abit quad GT and the Asus P5B.
any other suggestions on this build?

go for the 6420... you don't need the 6600 if you're gonna get a good mobo and push the FSB with some quality ram...

i picked up a 6400 for a decent deal, and some 8000 ram... go with the best deal out on fast ram, and settle with the 6420 with a good board. i got the quadgt, and hopefully will have time to play with it tonight. :) so excited

Back