• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WD/seagate big or small?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

imposter

about to build a css source server.

current specs are as followed

3600+x2
am2 motherboard onboard lan/graphics/sound
No dvd/cdrom

2GB of ram (best quality/cheapest on newegg)
2x yateloons

2x7200 drives in raid 0 (Wd or seagate)

Now for my drives i want to have a raid 0 going because i want everything to load as fast as possible.

So would seagates 7200.10 drive would work? or 2 wd drives?

Also would it be best to have 2 small drives for cheap or get 2 bigger drives for faster performance? I am guessing the bigger drives would be faster.

i dont want to spend that much money on this rig so cheaper drives would be nice. Also which would you say is more quiet the seagates or the WD? i have 2x7200.10 seagates and let me tell you i can't hear them.

In general you shouldn't get any respectable difference in speed based on the storage size. For a big speed boost make sure you are using SATA 2.0 with NCQ enabled. SATA 2.0 with no NCQ is barely faster than SATA 1.0, as the drive simply can not get the data to the interface fast enough without it. Other than that really 7200 is 7200, some models may have some quirks about them, but would performance really be improved?

Also I would recommend Seagate over WD.

Zerix01 said:
In general you shouldn't get any respectable difference in speed based on the storage size. For a big speed boost make sure you are using SATA 2.0 with NCQ enabled. SATA 2.0 with no NCQ is barely faster than SATA 1.0, as the drive simply can not get the data to the interface fast enough without it. Other than that really 7200 is 7200, some models may have some quirks about them, but would performance really be improved?

Also I would recommend Seagate over WD.
I hope you understand that there is no reason for SATA2 as of now. There are no drives that can saturate a SATA1 connection ;)

Back