• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mass Media copier?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

halo_2_rocks

My friend and i are looking into one of those mass cd recorders that can make like 5 copies at once. There pretty expensive to buy one so i was wondering is there a way i could build one. I know id need like 5 or more cd-R drive which r only like 16 bucks a piece on the egg. Then probably a full tower case with lots of drive slots. Then what i am not sure on is there some sort of controller i have to build or would just make it like a normal computer with a hd,mobo and what not and have an os and then some sort of mass media reproduction software.

I suppose if you have a motherboard with 2 IDE connectors that equals 4 drives. Then whatever SATA ports you have free. I don't see why you couldn't have at least 6 drives. On the software side I know that Nero has an option to use multiple recorders but I have never used that function so I can't say how well it works.

CD duplicators have some sort of dedicated controller board to do the transfers.

Nero does have the option to use multiple burners but if you were to build a computer with a lot of cd recorders it would require the source (be it hd or cd) to have a high throughput.

I have used nero on 3 drives at once using an image file on a hd as the source, all drives were pata using the onboard ide ports and the pc was my main rig (but with the GA7N400L as the mb) and everytime one copy would fail or take forever because of buffer underuns.

If you're really set on this, might as well just get a few sata drives, that'll allow more drives, more speed, far less errors, and cleaner, more open space for airflow.

Back