• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Q6600 OC - vcore?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vagabond102

Hello,

See sig for hardware info.

I'm currently at 2709 (9x301) and ORTHOS @ 20 min and going while I type this. So far, I'm very pleased, I just have a couple questions I would like clarified.

In the P-35 DS3 BIOS, I cannot find anywhere it tells me what the actual VCORE that is set is. In the M.I.T, it's set to NORMAL, and shows my VID of 1.2750. From what I understand, this just shows what's normal, not what it's running at. CPU-Z shows 1.184 and sometimes flashes to 2.00 extremely briefly. I think this is just a software thing, but I want to know. I still have EIST enabled, as I like my CPU clocking down when not in use to run cooler and save a couple $ on electricity.

My Temps in Core Temp .95 after 30min ORTHOS are as follows: 60, 51, 50, 55. AMB from my thermo is 26C, and probly a bit higher due it being in a different room then the PC. Idle is 42, 35, 33, 38.

I'm guessing that the difference between the cores is due to a) maybe a bad mount job, or b) bad IHS connectivity with the HSF. I know for a fact the u120x is not flat, and the CPU isn't either.

The VCORE is what I'm really concerned about. I just don't know where to start if I set it manually. I've set PCI-E and RAM all to manual. (RAM is 4-4-4-12 @ 2.0v

I'll post some screenies when I can. (ok, once I figure out how)

Last edited:
Have you tried pressing cntl-f1 while in the BIOS? That should open up more options in MIT.

If you have done the F1 thing...

Can you change "normal" to something else...like manual, or an actual voltage?

Start your Vcore at your VID. That way when you start OCing it won't go up. Or you can leave Vcore on Auto to get a decent OC, and then set it manually later to get your temps down.

I'd turn off EIST until you're done OCing.

Temps are high. Try re-mounting w/ less AS5, and tighten down the screws in an X-pattern screwing each screw a quarter-turn at a time.

Hello,

See sig for hardware info.

I'm currently at 2709 (9x301) and ORTHOS @ 20 min and going while I type this. So far, I'm very pleased, I just have a couple questions I would like clarified.

In the P-35 DS3 BIOS, I cannot find anywhere it tells me what the actual VCORE that is set is. In the M.I.T, it's set to NORMAL, and shows my VID of 1.2750. From what I understand, this just shows what's normal, not what it's running at. CPU-Z shows 1.184 and sometimes flashes to 2.00 extremely briefly. I think this is just a software thing, but I want to know. I still have EIST enabled, as I like my CPU clocking down when not in use to run cooler and save a couple $ on electricity.

My Temps in Core Temp .95 after 30min ORTHOS are as follows: 60, 51, 50, 55. AMB from my thermo is 26C, and probly a bit higher due it being in a different room then the PC. Idle is 42, 35, 33, 38.

I'm guessing that the difference between the cores is due to a) maybe a bad mount job, or b) bad IHS connectivity with the HSF. I know for a fact the u120x is not flat, and the CPU isn't either.

The VCORE is what I'm really concerned about. I just don't know where to start if I set it manually. I've set PCI-E and RAM all to manual. (RAM is 4-4-4-12 @ 2.0v

I'll post some screenies when I can. (ok, once I figure out how)

Vagabond, is this a G0 or B3?

The Gigabyte P35 don't show the actual voltages in the BIOS. That is one of the things I don't like about them. I would set it to something like 1.25 or your own VID to start and work up or down from there depending on what you need but do not put it at normal. Also just so you know the memory reference voltage (Normal) refers to 1.8V, so +0.1V = 1.9V, +0.2V = 2.0V, and so on.

EIST and C1E is a good idea and I have seen absolutely no bad effect on stability with them on.

I had a similar large delta between my cores and by playing around with the different bolts on the heatsink I was a able to reduce the maximum delta from 10C to 6C. Also make sure you apply Arctic Silver 5 by placing a line down the middle as shown in their instruction manual which also helped.

Lastly, your max temps (hottest core) does seem a little high for your cooler and for such a low overclock assuming this is a G0. I would really look into lapping at least the heatsink.

Have you tried pressing cntl-f1 while in the BIOS? That should open up more options in MIT.

If you have done the F1 thing...

Can you change "normal" to something else...like manual, or an actual voltage?

Start your Vcore at your VID. That way when you start OCing it won't go up. Or you can leave Vcore on Auto to get a decent OC, and then set it manually later to get your temps down.

I'd turn off EIST until you're done OCing.

Temps are high. Try re-mounting w/ less AS5, and tighten down the screws in an X-pattern screwing each screw a quarter-turn at a time.

Yeah, I've done the ctrl-1 thing and set everything I know to manual values. I'll try turning off EIST and the other auto adjusting options.

I used the Thermalright goop that came with the u120x. I did a bonehead thing and forgot to order AS5. I did put a decent coat on it, but less then I was going to. I hate remounting, as the case I have doesn't allow me to pull the MB tray out because the HSF is too large. :) When I did mount it, I did do it in an X like I would a car tire or other things like it, it's natural.

Vagabond, is this a G0 or B3?

The Gigabyte P35 don't show the actual voltages in the BIOS. That is one of the things I don't like about them. I would set it to something like 1.25 or your own VID to start and work up or down from there depending on what you need but do not put it at normal. Also just so you know the memory reference voltage (Normal) refers to 1.8V, so +0.1V = 1.9V, +0.2V = 2.0V, and so on.

EIST and C1E is a good idea and I have seen absolutely no bad effect on stability with them on.

I had a similar large delta between my cores and by playing around with the different bolts on the heatsink I was a able to reduce the maximum delta from 10C to 6C. Also make sure you apply Arctic Silver 5 by placing a line down the middle as shown in their instruction manual which also helped.

Lastly, your max temps (hottest core) does seem a little high for your cooler and for such a low overclock assuming this is a G0. I would really look into lapping at least the heatsink.

Sorry, I meant to put G0 in my sig...will add that. As for the memory, I know it's rated at 2.2, but I have it at 2.0 now and haven't seen any memory issues.

As an update to my original post, the HSF seems pretty efficient. I'm now running 334x9 (3015) rock solid with the vcore still set manual. I figured I'd run it this way overnight, which I did, and I ran ORTHOS for 8hrs with no problems.

I did note the the temps under load didn't change much from stock. the hottest core went to 55C at 2.4 and at 3 it's 59-60.

I just didn't know where to start on the vcore. I know what the max value I want to go is, but the starting point confused me.

I tried going directly from 3015 to 32xx. It posted fine, booted, but ORTHOS rang errors when I hit the second instance then the computer rebooted. (No event in event log noted, no automatic bios reset, temps seemed within tolerance) I'll try playing with the VCORE when I get home.

I read somewhere that it's recommended to start high, get to your goal, and then work the voltage down from there. My goal is 3.4, but I realize that might not be achievable on air.

I'll be happy with temps if, under full load, they are below 65C. I noticed last night that normal operation is 50C and games were around 55C.

I'm really enjoying this G0 Q6600. I'm happy with my choice to go quad instead of duel.

Back