• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nvidia 79xx or ati x1950 series

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

de_yogurt

which one would u go for? looking mainly at the 7900gs or 7900gt and the x1950pro or x1950xt. they both score pretty close in benchmarks. thanks for the help. have a good one!

Yogurt

heres the thing with the x1950xt. its very expensive. i can get a 256mb version of the x1950pro for around 200 or under. the x1950xt is around 250-260. would the performance diff between the x1950xt and the x1950pro be worth the extra 90 or so bucks? this is basically going to be the best XP box that i can build/afford. windows vista will NEVER touch this box. i currently have 2 gigs of memory. u can check my system specs in my sig. i will also be getting a different power supply. have a good one!

Yogurt

cant overclock my mobo. i cant even softclock it. its a BCM board. they make industrial motherboards. it has the 945 or one of the best 478 chipsets that were made. but to overclock i need an older version of the bios and cant find it on their site. i cant even use motherboard monitor. ohh, it has a lot of the same features as the max 3 board from abit. ic7 max 3 or something. not a big fan of overclocking anyway. what would u suggest for an aftermarket cooler? have a good one!

Yogurt

lol, i was asking about a cooler for the video card. they seem to run kinda hot. but i am also looking at something copper for the cpu also. thanks. have a good one!

Yogurt

because ati cards run hot, very hot. i dont want to risk killing a card cause of heat after ive had it for like a year. my x800gto gets very hot to the touch after ive been running games for a while. so i can only imagine how a x1950pro would run. have a good one!

Yogurt

Don't worry about the heat, it's made to handle the temps ;)

There's GPU monitor software to check just in case though. My 7900GS hits 81C.

All of those cards are good, I would go with the cheapest one you could get out of all of those to tide you over. If you don't plan on upgrading check out the 1950.

I need to get a 8800 soon, or even a 9800 if someone would release some info :/

i have a 7300gs and i was a quick game of bf2 while monitoring temps jsut bofore, it got up on 98 then i got of the server, it starts downclocking itself at 130, and i know it musta been atleast 110 when ive gamed all night. so if this ****ty card can handle the heat i think a 1950pro would be able to handle it too

im not just gonna not worry about the heat. that can kill cards. besides it will run and work better if its cooler or at least it should. and i might do some mild ocing but i dont know. even if the stock hsf are made to handle the heat, it still bothers me. i dont want to kill a card cause it gets too hot. i was just wondering what a good cooler would be. thanks. have a good one! 81c and you are not worried? what kinda crack are you on, thats hotter than my CPU. i hope your card fries if you are that relaxed about 81c.

Yogurt

I have the x1950xt 256MB (which was alot less then 200 dolalrs) but if I was doing it again I would probably get the Pro.

Reason being... crossfire. The pros you just need a bridge the x1950xt you need the x1900/x1950CF which is kinda pointless, I would just upgrade to a 8800/2900 in that case.

Last edited:
GPU cores are made to handle much hotter temps than CPU. Like MasterTelia said, they can get hot. Laptop GPU's can hit 130C on occasion.

The stock HSF is fine for any current card overclocking.

If you want the extra boost grab a Zalman or something for it.

I hope your card fries if you are that relaxed about 81c.
eVGA will allow me to return the card if it dies overclocked or with an aftermarket cooler on it.

well good for evga. i dont know sapphires or gecubes return policy. i just dont want to to ruin a good card. besides i cant live without a video card, if i had to send it in. im just saying, this is something that i want to do. im really picky about that kinda stuff. and in fact im looking at getting a new cpu cooler cause my 3.0 prescott runs at 125f. that seems way to hot for me. anyway, have a a good one!

Yogirt

The stock cooling made for the cards are fine. They are made to withstand the heat. So is your processor.

You shouldn't worry about any of it.

i dont care what it was meant for. if im not happy with it, im gonna change it. jesus man, just let it go. ill do what i want with my hardware. its not gonna hurt anything to have things run a little cooler than what they are. its called being a geek and making sure things are running and performing the best they can, even if they arent overclocked. have a good one!

Yogurt

Back