• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nvidia 79xx or ati x1950 series

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i think they make a thermaltake, cant remember the model. but its all copper and you can put like a 80 or 92mm fan on it. there are other nice ones out there, i just gotta look. thanks. ohh, i was never thinking it would die cause of the stock HS, BUT if the HSF on the fan has some kind of temperature sensing the fan could start to die or die completely, because of how hot the card would get, it would cause the fan to spin on high all the time. have a good one!

Yogurt

My fan and I'm sure many others have their GPU fan set to 100% all the time manually ;)

Are u guys sure the x1950pro is faster than a 7900gt? I checked on futuremark w/ a whole buncha different examples, and the 7900gt always won in FPS for all tests by 3-4 fps. both were overclocked too.

i vent to tomshardware and looked and different benchmarks too. the 7900gs, 7950gt, and x1950pro's were very close. the ati had some higher benchmarks than the nvidia and vice versa. but it was so close. the only thing on toms was i didnt know if they were comparing the pci-e versions or the agp. its gonna be a tough call and im gonna do a lot more research and thinking about it. they say the x1950xt is the fastest card to ever grace the agp bus. most of the benchmarks i looked at, depending on what it was, they were within like 100-200 points of each other or like maybe at a tops of 15 fps. so they are all good cards and it really boils down to, for me, what other people say and off of that ill look at the benchmarks. but i also wasnt looking at the overclocked benchmarks, i was just looking at stock speeds. i might do so mild overclocking, so those benchmarks dont do a whole lot for me. my only other questions were, is more pixel pipelines better, higher core or memory clocks, and 256 or 512. have a good one! if someone could help me on the pixel pipeline, core or memory speeds (ex is 575 core with 1200 mem speed better than something with 500 core speed with 1450 mem sped). thanks in advance.

Yogurt

The stock cooling made for the cards are fine. They are made to withstand the heat. So is your processor.
You shouldn't worry about any of it.
The fools that thought running 7900GS/GT's at 90+c 24/7 with a heatsink I'd have on my Pentium 1 would be just fine... which reminds me...
My P1 heatsink has been tied onto my NF4U northbridge ever since my P1 died from the power supply releasing magic blue smoke.
The max temp is a varied answer, it really depends on if the thing is ROHS complient, and the manufacturing tech, 130nm can withstand much more heat then a 65nm chip.

Why bother with another AGP videocard? Let the most awesome bus ever made die peacefully man.

no im not gonna let it die peacefully. forget it. i have a good system, IMO. its the best machine ive ever had. i will never replace this machine. its gonna be the best system with agp that i can build/afford. im not gonna get a pci-e board until im ready for vista. that will be a while, as the build itself is prolly cost me between 2-3g's. and i wanna wait till they get vista working good. besides, for now, i can doing everything i wanna do on an AGP bus. i want this to be a kickass agp system and thats what its gonna be. so do u have any suggestions for a video card, with the ones that i mentioned? have a good one!

Yogurt

Back