• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-P35-DS3R or...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadMan007

Magical Leopluridon Senior
Hey, looking for a mobo for a WHS build. I was initially looking at mATX but while they have video they too often cut other features. I finally settled on some of the Gigabyte boards because of the 'ultra durable' solid caps etc but mainly because they have a high number of internal SATA ports. The DS3R in particular has 8 and there are only a few other boards with that many internal. I am favoring this board right now but I wanted to know what other options might be recommended? One other important consideration is network speed, Abits were looking nice for the price but they seem to mostly use PCI not PCIe connected networking and that's not best for a server so I think most of the Abits are out not to mention they don't have the internal SATA port count.

i guess im dumb on this what is "WHS"? what exactly are you tring to do with this pc build?

Yets it's for Windows Home Server, just waiting for them to release a 64-bit client interface. I was tempted to go AMD since the mobos are cheaper but in the long run I will need as many SATA ports as possible and the savings would be wiped out by adding a SATA controller. Other P35 boards have the extra SATA ports but they put them as eSATA. I really like the way Gigabyte did theirs where the ports are internal and they provide an eSATA bracket, it's the most flexible setup for the end-user. Sounds like a winner unless something else great comes out while I'm waiting.

I'm pretty much using all DS3R on my folding farm, and love them all! I have a few P965-DS3 that's been folding 24/7 w/ a [email protected] since aug 06' and it still running strong!

I too been thinking to build a WHS too! but still couldn't decide what case to go as I don't want it to take up lotta space (full tower), but still want a decent amount of HDD space (6 or more). if one of the manufacturer release one in decent size and with 6 HDD space, I might go buy a retail one instead then (yeah, hard to believe I'm saying I might go buy a retail PC!). please keep me info of how yours go or PM me your thread if you gonna post up one!

Back