• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

want to play crysis, what video card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scoobydoo

my roomates son bought this game and i want to try it out, but i know nothing about gaming. he runs it on his pc with a x1650pro and it is playable as far as i know

i tried playing it with onboard video and it wouldnt even boot:(

i tried playing it with a 7100gs and that didnt turn out well either. it booted, but the game was running at about 1 frame per 5 seconds

what is the cheapest card i can buy so i can play this game at a decent framerate on my 37" monitor(1360x768 max)using the pc in my sig?

thanks for any help

what's a decent frame rate to you? And what's cheap? You would probably get away with a 7800gt or equiv, but you'll be running a mix of medium and low settings to be able to play.

Id look into a 7900 series card. I know some of them can be had for around 100 used now a days. It should be able to play the game at medium.

i just want it to run smooth. my monitors max resolution is 1360x768 so anything that will run smooth at those settings would be great:)

however i just looked up a 7800gt and it cost $150 and that is way too much to spend just so i can try out the game, maybe i will scrap the idea:(

thanks

Look into a x1950pro/gt, it should be able to handle it just fine on your system :)

Albiet it would be low-medium settings, but to be honest, crysis is the god program in terms of how much it takes to run it.

Or graba used x1950xt 256 off of ebay.. you can get them for around 100 bucks now :( But I used mine oced to 670/970 and ran crysis all the way through on medium settings.

Once I got my 3850 I bumped the settings up to high.. and TBH I do not see a differnce have not played far into the game though.

Or graba used x1950xt 256 off of ebay.. you can get them for around 100 bucks now :( But I used mine oced to 670/970 and ran crysis all the way through on medium settings.

Once I got my 3850 I bumped the settings up to high.. and TBH I do not see a differnce have not played far into the game though.

There's a pretty big difference between medium and high. There appears to be a more realistic filtering effect applied at high and very high and volumetric fog is also much more noticeable. I can tell the difference immediately but medium still looks great. Medium is on par with most any other graphics engine out there though. Medium reminds me a lot of FarCry's default engine filter (it had several to choose from like Cold, Paradise, etc).

That said, I ran Crysis on my 7950GT just fine on medium @ 1280x1024.

8800 GT minimum. End of thread.

For the price, nothing can touch them.

I wish I had held off and bought two of them with the $$ I used to buy my ultra but if I ever step up to a non sli mobo, I'll probably be glad I got the ultra instead but getting close to the same performance out of a pair of 8800gt's for less money sure is tempting.

I have played it on medium settings at 1024x768 with playable FPS on my 7600GT. They can be had at around 90 bucks if you are looking for cheap.

8800 GT minimum.
Bah! Lies!
You can play Crysis on high with a X1900XT 256Mb at 1024x768 and I never drop below 30fps... although, I'd never use it for Crysis when my $100 8800GTS 320Mb gets the job done so well.

The 3850 is the cheapest you can get that'll run Crysis on high without any slowdown at a decent resolution. After that it's the 3870, then the 8800GT... then you might as well go dual 3870 after that unless you want to blow your money on the 8800Ultra.

id go for the X1950 pro

Only go for the pro if you are planning on going crossfire...

Even then 2 pros is barely greater then an XT...

And when I played through on med settings on mine.. it was at 1680x1050 resolution

Someone posted that medium looks like farcry? I would have to disagree with that. medium looks great in Crysis, and even maxed far cry looked like an old game.

The 1900XT 512mb is still a solid video card. I've seen people sell them here for really cheap.

Even then 2 pros is barely greater then an XT...
Dual pro's can distroy the X1950XTX, even match the 8800GTS.

It would be a good path if it were a few months earlier... however, they're being phased out now so getting a second later may be hard unless you get it used.

A used X1900XT is an option, then you can run a mix of med/hgh at something like 1200x1024.

Still, the 3870 is the most cost-effective option.

scoobydoo said:
i tried playing it with onboard video and it wouldnt even boot

Sorry scoobydoo, but that made me laugh pretty good :D Crysis is the de-facto stress test for gaming, as far as video card performance goes. It all boils down to what you want to do honestly. Do you want to play it just to try it out, play it on medium, high, etc? Personally, I'd recommend you grab a cheap X1900XT (can be found for as little as $100) and give it a go. As a side note, you can also fold on that X1900 as well ;) :D

If its the shuttle in his sig it takes AGP cards so 8800gt is out of the question

Dual pro's can distroy the X1950XTX, even match the 8800GTS.

It would be a good path if it were a few months earlier... however, they're being phased out now so getting a second later may be hard unless you get it used.

A used X1900XT is an option, then you can run a mix of med/hgh at something like 1200x1024.

Still, the 3870 is the most cost-effective option.

dual pros are about 10-15% better then the xtx... (in ATI biased games) in other games they are even less ahead... and some others actually below.

Considering a single XT, is about 10-20% better then a pro, for the same price... if he is only getting a single card... get the xt.. ONLY get the pro if he intends on going crossfire.

That was why I suggested what I did :)

EDIT: oh with a AGP.. then that changes things.. i think pro is his best option.. and they wont be cheap either.

Back