• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC won't boot with storage drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaiweiler

Registered
Hello all,
I am having trouble booting with my storage drive hooked up along with my boot drive.
I have it set in BIOS to boot from my primary boot drive (the WD), and the PC gets through POST, shows the sliding horizontal loading bar in the Vista boot up screen and then I just get a black screen. No HDD activity or anything.
With only my boot drive in place the PC will boot fine, no problems at all.

The boot drive:
Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB 8.9MS Hard Drive

The data drive:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250-GB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

It has worked in the past but I am recently experiencing this problem.

I have tried the following:
Powering from individual 12v rails
Trying different Sata channels
Trying different Sata cables
Flashing BIOS

Anything else I could try?

is it even recognized in the bios or the boot sequence, if not then i'd say you have a bad drive...good luck :)

Yes it was recognized in BIOS
I fixed the issue already though.
I started the pc with power to both storage and boot drives, but with the sata cable disconnected from the storage drive, then once the pc was loaded I plugged in the Sata cable to the storage drive and said to scan for new hardware in device manager, it found the drive so I copied all my files over to my main boot drive, formatted the storage, and now she works perfect.
:)

Back