• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First timer, read the sticky

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mattstakilla

Registered
This is my first post and i am just getting in to the world of overclocking

i had an intel motherboard before and was told that im not able to overclock with it so i have gone out and purchased an ASUS motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131189

and new cpu fan as i am told copper is the way to go

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16835118030

Like i said i am new to this whole thing so im not looking for top of the line right now. i was just wondering what to expect with this motherboard and my core 2 duo e6300.

and just a couple questions

. what does it depend on more for better overclocking performance, better motherboard, or better cpu

. what has a better ratio for overclocking, quad core or core 2 duo?

. the settings shown in the bios screen for the overclocking tutorial. are those automatically set like that by default, or do i have to go in there and do all that before i overclock?

. is overclocking on the video card possible?

. i see in the tutorial he get a 25% increase in performance. is this normal, can i expect more with the motherboard i have purchased?

My parts are currently being shipped via newegg so i am yet to install and get even the operating system running. But after I am finished, I will post again and tell how well I have done on my first endevour of overclocking. Any help is greatly appreciated!

duals oc higher then quads so it more depends on what your using the cpu for.
motherboards well get one thats got ocing options in bios, aka asus/abit/gigabyte/dfi/biostar/msi.

what you do for ocing will depend on the chipset P965 has more dividers to play with. such as a cpu fsb divider then ram divider. with P35 and later there is no more needing to set the cpu fsb divider,, you just choose the ram ratio then up the clock speed.

ocing the videocard is possible, you might check out the video card section by brand,NV or ATI.

i dont think it was a 25% increase in performance but maybe a 25% overclock... going from stock clocked to overclocked can make a hugh difference depending on the app. the main area you see nice gains from this are A/V encoding/3D-rendering/video editing.

if you get stuck with something when tring to oc just post up. we have enough people here with that setup or similar when can get ya going.

:welcome: TO FORUMS!!

i had an intel motherboard before and was told that im not able to overclock with it so i have gone out and purchased an ASUS motherboard

Sure you can overclock an Intel motherboard PC. You simply do it differently.

My Gateway Intel Q6600 is sitting at 3.2 GHz, stable as the day is long (was 2.4) on stock volts, runs nice and cool. With a voltage bump (via pin mod) I think I can do a solid 3.4 or 3.5 and then call it a day. I also tweaked the DDR2 memory and graphics card.

Last edited:

My Gateway Intel Q6600 is sitting at 3.2 GHz, stable as the day is long (was 2.4). With a voltage bump (via pin mod) I think I can do a solid 3.4 or 3.5 and then call it a day.

please explain alil further since i have a intel board.

My Gateway Intel Q6600 is sitting at 3.2 GHz, stable as the day is long (was 2.4) on stock volts, runs nice and cool. With a voltage bump (via pin mod) I think I can do a solid 3.4 or 3.5 and then call it a day. I also tweaked the DDR2 memory and graphics card.

is this only do-able via pin modifications, as of right now i dont see anything in my bios that refers to overclocking. looks nothing like the pictures in the tutorial

please explain alil further since i have a intel board.

This is in a Gateway quad with an Intel G33 mother board.

* You can overclock via "setfsb" using the appropriate PLL chip selection in the drop down. CV183APAG for this one thru trial and error. The board uses a CV chip with a higher part number tho, but it all behaves and works just fine for about two months now. I settled at about 3.0 Ghz which has been very stable.

* You can also "pin mod" several different ways. You can go to a higher FSB speed in many cases. I went to 1333 from 1066 by taping one pin on the ECU:

original.jpg

* Setfsb changes the FSB speed and so it also overclocks your memory. No troubles hitting 925-985 on the memory at 1.8 volts.

* Presently I am at 3.2 Ghz via the tape pin mod above plus some setFSB. The rig can be set to about 3.35-3.4 Ghz and runs but is less stable. I believe that is due to the stock ECU voltage I am using.

* With more pin mods I can set about any ECU voltage you can name. And so more overclocking with total stability seems to be possible.

* While I pin modded I lapped my ECU's copper casing. I also added a better ECU heat sink awhile back.

* Graphics card (8800GT) I modded slightly using rivatuner. I can also add some voltage with a BIOS reflash or by soldering on a potentiometer in a certain manner.

* Using memset you can tune your ram. Since I cannot easily adjust ram voltage, use ram that works well on low voltage. The last little bit of ram speed does not really help applications anyway. Some folks do motherboard wiring changes to adjust voltage.

* Mostly you use the supertunability you need to set a record or something. But if/when I wind up at about 3.4-3.5 and have a stable, quiet, cool running PC I'd be more than happy. Actually at 3.2 things are quite nice.

Now depending on your mother board model and which Intel chip there will be variations in what you do. But the basic concept of how to overclock the locked down stuff is roughly the same. It's just different and in some way more challenging as the path is not so crystal clear as some ot the popular "standard" overclocks that many enjoy.

This is in a Gateway quad with an Intel G33 mother board.

* You can overclock via "setfsb" using the appropriate PLL chip selection in the drop down. CV183APAG for this one thru trial and error. The board uses a CV chip with a higher part number tho, but it all behaves and works just fine for about two months now.

* You can also "pin mod" several different ways. You can go to a higher FSB speed in many cases. I went to 1333 from 1066 by taping one pin on the ECU:

original.jpg

* Setfsb changes the FSB speed and so it also overclocks your memory. No troubles hitting 925-985 on the memory at 1.8 volts.

* Presently I am at 3.2 Ghz via the tape pin mod above plus some setFSB. The rig can be set to about 3.35-3.4 Ghz and runs but is less stable. I believe that is due to the stock ECU voltage I am using.

* With more pin mods I can set about any ECU voltage you can name. And so more overclocking with total stability seems to be possible.

* While I pin modded I lapped my ECU's copper casing. I also added a better ECU heat sink awhile back.

* Graphics card (8800GT) I modded slightly using rivatuner. I can also add some voltage with a BIOS reflash or by soldering on a potentiometer in a certain manner.

* Using memset you can tune your ram. Since I cannot easily adjust ram voltage, use ram that works well on low voltage. The last little bit of ram speed does not really help applications anyway.

ok thanks im waiting to get my thermal right ultra 90 before i do any ocing bc i dont tryst the stock intel heatsink on the q6600. lol

CPU Frequency - This is the FSB in MHz. Set it to whatever you’re planning to multiply by 9x (333 in my case).

DRAM Frequency - This the speed your RAM will run. For now set it for double the FSB you plan to use to overclock (for example if you’re running a 333 MHz FSB, set it for 667; if you’re running a 290 MHz FSB, set it to 580, etc.) Remember the RAM is DDR2 so divide that 667 by 2 to get 333 or the ratio of the CPU-to-DRAM is 333:333 or 1:1.

so with ddr2-800 ram
i would set it to
400mhz:800mhz

i guess i really just have to get more board in and just start trying
i just dont want to mess up my new asus board cause i didnt research enough

now does overclocking have a difference between operating systems

i will be having dual boot with vista and xp

does it make a difference?

CPU Frequency - This is the FSB in MHz. Set it to whatever you’re planning to multiply by 9x (333 in my case).

DRAM Frequency - This the speed your RAM will run. For now set it for double the FSB you plan to use to overclock (for example if you’re running a 333 MHz FSB, set it for 667; if you’re running a 290 MHz FSB, set it to 580, etc.) Remember the RAM is DDR2 so divide that 667 by 2 to get 333 or the ratio of the CPU-to-DRAM is 333:333 or 1:1.

so with ddr2-800 ram
i would set it to
400mhz:800mhz

i guess i really just have to get more board in and just start trying
i just dont want to mess up my new asus board cause i didnt research enough

now does overclocking have a difference between operating systems

i will be having dual boot with vista and xp

does it make a difference?

yes to the 400:800 bc that would be 1:1 ratio and that is usual the most economical for ocing but as far as the ocing between different operating systems idk

thanks for the help everyone. my stuff should be showing up sometime early next week. i will tell you how everything goes, and def come back if i have any problems!:beer::beer::beer:

wooops just one more question

i also have an x1950xt ati card that i will be installing, is it best to install and get this working before i overclock or would it be better to overclock first then install this. from what i read, it shouldnt make a difference as long as i set the pci-e speed before i overclock as highering my fsb will also higher pci-e.

i also found the wiki how to be good first step to overclocking. i would recommend reading this before reading the tutorial in this section. the tutorial in this seems like you should know more before going into overclocking. which the wikihow can somewhat clear up.

http://www.wikihow.com/Overclock-a-PC

install and update everthing first then oc..

Update...was able to OC my Gateway G33 / Q6600 to 3.4 GHz by pencilling to achieve lesser Vdroop. With some more Vcore via another SBC voltmod I should be able to hit a few clicks higher on quiet air and call it a day. So 1333 Tape-BSEL2-Mod (3.0 GHz) plus SetFSB (to 3.2) then reduce Vdroop mod (to 3.4). So far still on stock volts, 1.2625 Volts setting for load, about 1.25 Volts actual, about 1.16 idle.

original.jpg

Back