• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

User cannot log into server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreamtfk

So my boss is asking me look into a problem where her sales manager is having intermittent problems logging into our server.

She tells me that the somedays she is able to log in first try w/o a problem and the days that she is not able to log in repeated attempts allow her to log in. Any ideas or user account settings I should The server is running Windows 2000

make sure her account is not "locked out" and also i would check her machine, perhaps you have 2 machines running the same computer name. it happens from time to time.

take her machine out of the domain, rename it, and rejoin it if you can.

It isn't locked out b/c the problem is intermittent and only happens sometimes. I asked her and she said it is possible their are other users logging on with the same name since the laptops are sometimes passed around, I will look into it...

most likely?
the problem lies between the keyboard and the chair.

i have seen it too many times to count

most likely?
the problem lies between the keyboard and the chair.

i have seen it too many times to count

True, but I have tried entering the pw myself as well and the error persists.

So I made sure that the other workstation using the same name was logged off and powered down and yet she still has the problem. So now I think the problem goes beyond two identical user names conflicting. Anything I could/should check in AD? :confused:

Sorry I'm kind of a rookie with Network OS's and she keeps bugging me about it...

change the computer name on each machine and join a workgroup ( i use w or asny random letter) no user / pass for this hit ok and reboot

then rejoin to the domain u do know how to do that right?

if 2 machines are on the same domain with the same computer name, those things happen.

They said the same user name, not diff comps with the same name.

Which would generate big honkin error messages about having two machines with the same name and would more than likely cause the second pc to shut off network services until it was corrected.

They said the same user name, not diff comps with the same name.

Which would generate big honkin error messages about having two machines with the same name and would more than likely cause the second pc to shut off network services until it was corrected.

i've never seen it say anything like that, however, we're running a NT domain, bridged over to 2k3 so that could be the reason why

dreamtfk, you still having the problem?

As far as I know she is but she's an outside sales rep and only comes into the office for brief periods of time so I dont really get to talk to her much. They keep me real busy around here.

I will get back with you guys when I have a chance to work on the server, thanks!

Back