• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

One CD Drive vs Two

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

firejunior88

I am currently building a new system and trying to figure out what are the advantages and disadvantages to using two cd drives as oppose to one.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

I've been using just one for years. I don't copy many disks though.

If you copy disks, then it is good. If you don't, then it may not matter.

I suppose 2 cd drives could make copying stuff easier. You could keep 2 game cds in without the "hassle" of changing discs.

I had 2 cd drives a long time ago and I barely ever used the second drive. Heck I barely use the 1 DVD-RW drive I have now.

Two cd drives could be useful if you're running say a boot cd or linux livecd and you want to access something from another disc. Two dvd drives (or a dvd and a cd) can be very useful, however. For example, let's say you want to watch some avi files on a dvd. While you're doing that you can have an explorer window open in another monitor/window and access files on a different disc at the same time. On top of that, you could burn directly from disc to disc via NERO, or rip movies/audio from one disc while burning or playing another in the other drive.

A last note (and why I use 2 dvd-r/combodrives): my I/OMagic 16x drive started burning fairly erratically so I bought an LG burner. The LG burner takes longer to recognize discs initially than the other drive, so I kept the I/OMagic drive as it's still fantastic for reading discs, but I use the other one for burning. I also run a virtual optical drive via Alcohol but I'm not sure that counts.

So basically it comes down if I'm going to be doing any major burning of discs? Seems reasonable. Thanks everyone.

My next question is, I will be doing some burning, but I don't think i will need two drives, at least right now, does a burner read discs faster for non-burning purposes like playing games? Does someone know the speeds for a burner vs a non-burner drive?

My next question is, I will be doing some burning, but I don't think i will need two drives, at least right now, does a burner read discs faster for non-burning purposes like playing games? Does someone know the speeds for a burner vs a non-burner drive?
Pretty much the same, afaik

Ok, what would be the ideal setup then?

A) Two burners
B) One burner, one drive

Or does it matter?

It doesn't really matter. But, having 2 burners would mean you could burn the same image to two discs at once if your software supported it.

I like having 2 drives, I've always had 2.

Optical drives are just so cheap, I figure might as well get 2.

I go with a DVD-ROM / DVD-Burner on my rigs.

i had 2 at first, it made coping disks or whathave you faster, but then again, this was when 2x and 4x drives were available :p once it got up to about 16x i just gave up on 2 disks because you can copy a disk in under a half hour roughly.

i remember having to burn cd's over night on my first burner hah! oh man was that thing a workhorse and $200 at the time.

i had 2 at first, it made coping disks or whathave you faster, but then again, this was when 2x and 4x drives were available :p once it got up to about 16x i just gave up on 2 disks because you can copy a disk in under a half hour roughly.

i remember having to burn cd's over night on my first burner hah! oh man was that thing a workhorse and $200 at the time.

Ditto... I just built the first machine since my 486 days that did NOT have two optical drives. Drives are really fast these days to mess around with more than one.

Not only did I reduce the number of optical drives in my machine, but I also cleaned things up by purchasing a SATA drive. I snagged a Samsung drive off of NewEgg for $30. It's extremely quiet.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16827151154

While I'm at it, I might as well plug the Samsung HD I bought too. Quietest drive I have ever owned, including my 500GB Western Digital drive that previously held that title.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16822152100

I use 2 opticals mainly because I started with a cd burner and later wanted a dvd burner. I'm debating on going to just one my self (uppgrading to sata). the main thing i've used both for recently is being able to have 2 game cd's, or 1 cd and 1 dvd, in the drive at the same time so i don't have to keep switching them out as I usually don't play more than 2 games heavily at one point in time.

I use the same two optocal drives (Cd RW and a DVD drive) since the emachines I got in 02 (slightly older so hacked firmware ofcourse) then I got a Lighton EZ dub since it was cheap ($50 from newegg) and I needed an external drive for my server anyway. Having multiple drives is great for copying like people said, but also if your like me and you have ALOT of games and dont want to change discs that much. The benefit of 1 drive is fewer cables, easier cable management, and the more drives you have the messier the front of your case looks (unless you have one of those cases with a door in which case this wont matter)

Back