• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Card Overclock Go Away When Removed From Computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LilBuddy

I'm about to return a 9600GT to the store and I want to make sure that the overclock will go away now that it is out of my computer. Does the card store the clocks or does software on the PC store it? I already have it boxed up and I don't want to have to get it back out and install it all over again to lower the clocks.

Well I would be really ****ed if they plugged it in and they saw it had been overclocked and they refused to return it.

Overclocks are undetectable, unless you burnt something there. :) As stated, as long you only did software or driver-level overclocks, your card won't show any signs that it was previously overclocked.

Overclocks are undetectable, unless you burnt something there. :) As stated, as long you only did software or driver-level overclocks, your card won't show any signs that it was previously overclocked.

And I'm assuming that you aren't but for everyone elses' benefit. For the love of God if you burn out a graphics card, please don't try to return it in-store if it's a result of OC'ing. Someone ends up paying fo rit in the end, just not you.

And I'm assuming that you aren't but for everyone elses' benefit. For the love of God if you burn out a graphics card, please don't try to return it in-store if it's a result of OC'ing. Someone ends up paying fo rit in the end, just not you.

Stores do not accept returns on damaged cards, be it physical damage or the result of an OC.

No, the card works perfect, it was hitting almost 13k in 3dMark06 yesterday. I just got an 8800GT + Crysis for $50 less so I'm taking the 9600GT back.

I worked in retail, they don't check the card for technical damage until they're ready to resell it. They make sure the serial numbers match and check for physical damage.

If you tell them that it was just a compatibility issue, a feign a story saying your board doesn't support that type of bus, they'll take it back with minimum trouble.

Well I just told them it wasn't working with my PC. The girl didn't even open the box to see if it was in there.

Back