• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hibernation...???...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beancooker

Okay, I am running an E2160 pushed to 3.2 for my 24/7 usage. Can I set the power settings in windows to hibernate? Will this cause the BSOD, or is it okay to use?

I dont see why not.... (unless the overclock is not stable) I dont like hibernate cuz i have seen clients mess up their windows because of it. but if used properly it should work fine

I don't believe hibernation or sleep...or hard drive power-down... to work on windows at all. 3rd party programs always bug out with anything but constant states (on or off, pick one and stick to it) and I have had to kill power control on many many workstations because of corruption and other retardedness.

I have a rule I go by, and that is if you don't give a computer a chance to screw up then it likely won't. Given the bugginess of any power state other than "always on", I say leave it on at all times, unless it's just a goof-off computer and you don't mind OS reinstalls once a year or more.

Also, always on saves your hard drives believe it or not, because as long as the bearings hold out (and most do), your platters will remain at a constant thermal state. Turn it on and off every day, and the constant expansion and contraction of hot and cold drives will kill your read/write head calibration, thus killing the drive.

Also, always on saves your hard drives believe it or not, because as long as the bearings hold out (and most do), your platters will remain at a constant thermal state. Turn it on and off every day, and the constant expansion and contraction of hot and cold drives will kill your read/write head calibration, thus killing the drive.

Yeah but with that its really how long they will last. Typically I give my drives around 3 years maybe 4 of life before I gets rid of them. Yet I have had harddrives that have lasted 10+ years and I never left the computer on over night. It was on when I used it and off when I wasn't type deal.

Think I have one drive thats 6 years old that I'm using as external storage. No issues with that one iether and it was an internal drive for a few years before I gave it its own case to play in when I needed something.

IMO I like hybernate mode but in the past I've had issues with video drivers causing crashes so when it comes back online. So really i don't use it much anymore. Perferably after I get a stable system, I'd like to use hybernate more, which IMO it boots nice and quickly from.

Back