• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My farm build....help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ludeboy12

Ok guys so I am going to start building my farm, or at least start purchasing some of the goods for it.

Anyways was thinking of running anywhere from 4-8 quads. Of course I wont be buying them all at once.

So below is an example of rigs I will be using. Was hoping to get some feedback along the lines of what to buy or if what i have picked out is good. Also note that the cpu will probably be a q6600 and not the q9450 in the pic. Thats just what I'm going to drop into my main rig. Oh and each maching will be running linux native.

Also if someone could tell me what I would need to set up everting to use just 1 keyboard, mouse and lcd that would be great too.

screenshotov0.png

thanks in advance guys.....
-Lude

I just recently bought/built out the same Gigabyte board you have listed in your newegg wish list; a very good board for the price.

You'll need a KVM switch to share keyboard-monitor-mouse with. Iogear make a good 4 port KVM(search Newegg) as does most of the other better known networking hardware manufacturers.

It looks good to me! What about the room where they'll be running, though? It could be a sauna with several quad's running in it. :eek:

Unless someone else is paying for any needed A/C, that would be a real concern - the electric bill for the quads, plus the added electric bill for all the A/C that might be needed.

That and the noise from the cpu and case fans. A nice quiet Zalman might help out for a cpu cooler.

Give the Abit IP35 series a look. I'm sure i read that you guys in the states were picking up Abit IP35-E's for $60.00 after mir. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal for that caliber of board.
You should also be able to back down on the power supply and save some quid. Thinking Corsair VX450 :shrug:

I agree... a Corsair VX450 is the ticket. I just picked one up for a buddy of mine... waiting on it to come in.

I'd also look at some less expensive dimms. ~$100 is too expensive for 2x1gb these days, especially for farm layers. I'd look into some Crucial Ballistix.

I also think the Q9450 is probably overkill. I'd get some Q6600 cpus when the prices come down.... and/or when they become more generally available, I'm sure there will be lots of guys looking to sell their Q6600 in the classifieds for a good price to upgrade to Q9450.

I too am a big believer in the single rail Corsair VX450W for use in a farm implement. Newegg has a mail in rebate on them and -$5 instant so they are about $64.
I'd think hard about the Q6600 in a farm. The Q9450 has an 8 multi which is going to push the FSB up to get a good OC (I've read 3.8 GHz is about the max for it, compared to 3.6 max for the Q6600. I don't know the average for the Q9450, but the Q6600 is about 3.3 GHz), not to mention it adds more than $130 to the cost of each rig. Clock for clock the Q9450 is 5% faster than the Q6600, but you can build 5 Q6600s rigs for the price of 4 Q9450s. I don't think it would be a mistake to go with the Q9450 and, perhaps in the long run, factoring in power consumption, may provide better ppd/$. Your call.
For farming I'd go with Corsair TwinX PC6400C4 (skip the Pro) which goes for as little as $29 (today) with the eggs $40 mail in rebate for 2 GB. It will clock up to 960 MHz @ CL5 with 2.2 v.

Last edited:
You could save cash on a KVM and just usea software solution?

e.g. Using X Windows? Use VNC.
e.g. Console only? Use SSH/screen.

I have no opnion as I don't have a Farm. :(

but I would think, low cost, and longevity - upgradability - future proofing
would be something to look at.

Ok guys thanks for all the feedback.

Anyways this is what I think i have decided on below. I am going to skip the whole kvm deal and run diskless as well.

screenshot1fa5.png

no can do. wont be one order. still just a student here. Dont have that kind of flow just yet. Also don't have anywhere to put this stuff till after i move in may so im really just going to start getting the goods.

its definitely on though. I'm determined to break into the top 10 for 24hr ppd.

I'm determined to break into the top 10 for 24hr ppd.

Stout objective. :attn: Reaching the top ten and more importantly staying there, will be no easy task. Wishing you the best of luck reaching your goal. :beer:

Back