• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Q6600 overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DanFraser

I've had a Q6600 for over a month now, but I had a cheap mobo until a couple of days ago, when I bought a Gigabyte DS3R. The best point about this motherboard is fitting 4GB DDR2 800 in it, the next best thing is instantly I overclocked the Q6600 to 3.3GHz on air (Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro).

Currently my temps are around 40c idle and mid fifties full load, depending on the programs used to hit load, lol.

It's rock solid stable too, despite someone pointing out that the wireless card was crashing vista on bootup (horribly faulty drivers).

I'll be doing my best to post pics soon, and also see if I can hit the magical 3.6GHz!

(Yet another post made on my iPhone!)

Ok, trying to see if I can get that magical 3.6...

Setting 400 for the FSB, and letting the motherboard automanage the VID (which it does quite well for 3.3GHz, 1.337v apparently!) it doesn't even post. I have set the voltage to 1.250 manually and it boots etc well at 3.3GHz. When I get home later, I'm going to try and use 1.3v straight up.

Anyone got any suggestions?

dont leave the volyage at auto always set it to what you wont i dont know your board but the nb may need a bump and make sure your memory is at 1/1 and watch your temps
Rich

Good luck with that. I have no doubt that my Q6600 could handle 400x9 with a little boost in Vcore, but high temperatures have prevented me from pursuing it. Running 4 small FFT threads in Prime95 puts my core temperatures at about 70C with my current settings, so I don't feel comfortable pushing it any higher. The small FFT threads seem to work the CPU much more than any other test, because while playing games the core temps hover in the high 50s.

Q6600 can be 60-70C full load at 3.6ghz on high end air, not sure a F7Pro will be able to handle that, depends how much voltage you need.

I can see what you mean... Current idle temps are 44,44,40,44 and full load is 65,65,61,61. I need more cooling!

I forgot about this! Being a student does that to you! Tomorrow I'm going to have another crack at 3.6ghz. I've been reading up on temps and safety ranges, the voltages needed etc. I'll be reporting back within a day :)

update:

Attachments

• 3.6ghz.jpg
    3.6ghz.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:
Temps

I forgot about this! Being a student does that to you! Tomorrow I'm going to have another crack at 3.6ghz. I've been reading up on temps and safety ranges, the voltages needed etc. I'll be reporting back within a day :)

update:

I have a OCZ Vendetta 1 cooler and I am getting 56,54,47,48. I have it at
3.2 Ghz with a 1.4v power rating @ 1600 QDR FSB. I am wondering how you got about getting it at 3.3Ghz, or how you plan on getting it to 3.6.

well, 3.3 was achieved with 366x9 and 1.3v. 3.6 in my machine is 400x9 and 1.425v. The voltages are what I have selected in the bios.

I wish I could run it for eight hours non-stop, but I have an over-zealous electricity saving mother, who can't sleep when the computer is on anyway. It has been fully stable in the time I can use it.

I've been tempted to push the 80c 'limit' touted on these forums just to see what it can do, i'm hitting 70 full load under prime, 50-55c in games. Think I could hit 3.8, on air? lol.

I've been tempted to push the 80c 'limit' touted on these forums just to see what it can do, i'm hitting 70 full load under prime, 50-55c in games. Think I could hit 3.8, on air? lol.

Are you doing a blend prime or Small FTT's prime? Its a big difference between the two. If your doing blend, then your ACF7P will easily hit 75-77c with small FTT's. It really does add about 5c compared to blend.

3.8GHz on air using ACF7P is not realistic. I'd go no higher than 70c full load.

Man I hit the WALL at 3.2GHz . I wished I could get 3.6 GHz out of this Q6600 but I can not and I have to use a 8X multi with 1600 FSB . how the hell are you all doing this ? I wounder if I should get a new mobo .

Are you doing a blend prime or Small FTT's prime? Its a big difference between the two. If your doing blend, then your ACF7P will easily hit 75-77c with small FTT's. It really does add about 5c compared to blend.

3.8GHz on air using ACF7P is not realistic. I'd go no higher than 70c full load.

I'm using small FFTs in prime, made a little starter proggy to run 4 instances with command line arguments to run the torture test with small FFTs.

Man I hit the WALL at 3.2GHz . I wished I could get 3.6 GHz out of this Q6600 but I can not and I have to use a 8X multi with 1600 FSB . how the hell are you all doing this ? I wounder if I should get a new mobo .

The 680 nvidia chipset is what is causing the overclock problem from what I've read on these forums. I also know someone that has a 650 chipset with a Q6600 (and a TRUE) and it can't even get above stock (!)...

I'm using small FFTs in prime, made a little starter proggy to run 4 instances with command line arguments to run the torture test with small FFTs.
I'm sure you're a very capable programmer, but why not use the built-in option to run 4 small FFT threads in Prime95? It seems that would be the best way to compare your temps with those being reported by others.

Back