• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How important is static electricity?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tombo12345

I've built 3 computers and static has never been a problem for me. I know it's generally a "better safe than sorry" deal, where it's not the biggest issue, but it could potentially destroy your system.

My question now is, how much of a danger is static electricity? I'm planning on building a desktop pc inside a briefcase, and it has some fabric on the inside. Would that fabric be that big of an issue? If it is could I just coat it with something to get rid of the static issue? Like maybe with some sort of epoxy, or something similar?

I've looked at other examples and they all show basically a custom "tower" inside the briefcase, but I was thinking of mounting my motherboard, HDD's, dvd-rom, and PSU directly to the case. Is this a big no-no, or a genuine cost effective method? Am I going to fry my computer if I do that?

I'd go with "Big no-no." You need to have the motherboard grounded, and the cloth will not only not be grounded, but it may induce electrostatic discharge that could short your system. building a small tower inside the briefcase is your best bet.

Static in imperceptible amounts will destroy a component whether it costs 50 dollars or 5000. That's how important it is ;)

Simply gluing metal plates to the inside of a briefcase that have wires linked to the PSU ground is enough to dissipate any static while plugged in, and most likely go a long way towards spreading a charge out when not plugged in. In that sense it is beneficial like a true case.

Ok everybody thank you for your replies, another question though. What if I coated it with something? Like basically coated the entire inside with liquid plastic?
wasp1.jpg

plastic conducts more elctricity than fabric?

Well I guess I should take your word for it. It just sucks. Does anyone have anything I might be able to coat the inside with? Epoxy? Duct tape? Resin? acrylic sealer? I'm grabbing at straws I know, but it would just be so much easier finding a way to attach pieces to the case rather than a case within a case.

Last edited:
You want it to conduct electricity (aka metal) to have a ground. Insulators are liable to hold a charge that is then converted to static, which in turn destroys components. You could do liquid lol, have fun designing/lugging that around. Just do as was stated above. Gut the insides of the suitcase and use metal/ground your components.

You want it to conduct electricity (aka metal) to have a ground. Insulators are liable to hold a charge that is then converted to static, which in turn destroys components. You could do liquid lol, have fun designing/lugging that around. Just do as was stated above. Gut the insides of the suitcase and use metal/ground your components.

So I basically want to find the smallest case I can find?

plastic conducts more elctricity than fabric?

Well I guess I should take your word for it. It just sucks. Does anyone have anything I might be able to coat the inside with? Epoxy? Duct tape? Resin? acrylic sealer? I'm grabbing at straws I know, but it would just be so much easier finding a way to attach pieces to the case rather than a case within a case.

Ever rub cloth on a plastic rod? Cloth on a balloon? On a comb? Plastic doesn't conduct per se, but it stores a mean charge ;)

I think you are overthinking this personally. Ideally, you would make the case gounded, but no one ever does. Take all the crap out, liners etc, and figure out how you want to attach the components. Use a metal plate, use wood, whatever. Wood would probably be easiest. Drill and attach inside, then mount your stuff. Use the PSU as your ground source. Cut a couple of holes strategically for fans, because you will still need airflow. Cut for the mobo ports, PSU plug, etc. You can put a decent card in with a 90 degree flex AXT adapter for PCI-E, or use a mobo with onboard video.

Have fun :)

Ever rub cloth on a plastic rod? Cloth on a balloon? On a comb? Plastic doesn't conduct per se, but it stores a mean charge ;)

I think you are overthinking this personally. Ideally, you would make the case gounded, but no one ever does. Take all the crap out, liners etc, and figure out how you want to attach the components. Use a metal plate, use wood, whatever. Wood would probably be easiest. Drill and attach inside, then mount your stuff. Use the PSU as your ground source. Cut a couple of holes strategically for fans, because you will still need airflow. Cut for the mobo ports, PSU plug, etc. You can put a decent card in with a 90 degree flex AXT adapter for PCI-E, or use a mobo with onboard video.

Have fun :)

I second that. I used to be paranoid about static myself, but from my experience and the advice of people who should know more than me, today's electronics and computer components are built to handle levels of static charges that yesteryear's components would shrivel up and die over.

I have built a PC using a cardboard box for a case once - I wouldn't recommend that for structural reasons (someone may try to sit or stand on your parts XD), but it worked just fine for the few weeks I kept it that way.

Back to reality....
It's not really going to be a problem. The motherboard will be connected this device we commonly call "power supply unit" that has ground/neutral wires which attach to the motherboard. So static might in theory build up a little, but it will be difused over a large area (capacitors, wiring, etc). Also, very little if any static electricity will build up if the motherboard is mounted in place (i.e. not just flopping around in the case.)

Coating it with that resin/epoxy will actualy work great. Despite the fun little 8th grade science class where you vigorsly rub the rod on the rabbit fur, there will be no rubbing once it's coated on. Also that plastic resin is probably one of the best insulators out there.

thank you all for your help and ideas! Another option I was thinking of was to coat the inside with some kind of copper foil. I work at a craft store and my dad bought some foil we sell to sheild some electronics inside his guitar, so would that work too?

It would simply allow the static electricity to dispurse over an even larger area (a good thing). But if it wasn't secured well to the wall it could rub and cause more buildup.

I think your worring too much. Is the motherboard going to be mounted to the case on stand-offs (like it is in a normal case?) If so then your fine and don't have to worry. If your gonna let it sit and rattle around in the case then that's bad. I'd worry about physical damage, grounding, and even static but that would be the least of my worries.

Maybe liquid tape. You can find it at an automotive place. I use it so spray on the back of motherboards so condensation won't short them - I bet it will also work for you.

Back