• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sparc support?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is the FAH Forum's site administrator's answer to this question:
Thanks for your patience, but it's probably misplaced. The Pande Group is concentrating on extremely high performance clients using parallel techniques for hardware such as SMP and GPU and Cell and although the standard client is still an important part of the choices, it's not too likely that they'll adapt it to another platform.

I proably was the one that answered your question last year, and nothing has really changed in relation to Solaris. I suspect that the only hope is that you find a WIndows or Linux emulator that runs on Solaris. The fundamental code for x86 would run quite well in either type of emulator because of the preponderance of arithmetic code.

Support of any new platform requires sufficient in-the-lab hardware to test each new version plus extra time to debug the features that are modified by the porting -- and that would include several clients and a multitude of cores. It can be an expenxive support job for a relatively few added CPUs. (From a sheer numbers point of view, the existing clients already cover the OSs found on a very high percentage of home computers.)

I don't believe anything's changed for Solaris, since then. If Sparc chips run on a different OS, let me know and I'll look into that.

Back