• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OpenSuSE 10 & nForce ethernet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Edward78

My internet isn't working & was wondering where to get the right drover? .RPM please, I don't want to compile.

if you dual boot with windows, windows can inactivate the NIC sometimes as a "power saving" feature. and then it will be turned off when you boot in to linux. Does the NIC have lights on the port to show it is connected? If no, then go in to windows, open control panel and go to system > hardware > device manager > expand Network Adapters, right click on yours and hit Properties, then hit the Power Management tab and uncheck the box next to "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Well, the kernel and the module MUST be matched exactly. I never have problems because I always build my own kernels from source and build in the drivers I need (I hardly ever use modules unless it's absolutely necessary... e.g. nvidia binary graphics drivers). For example, if your kernel is edited to change even one setting (the SAME exact kernel version, just configured a bit differently), then the module may not work. The kernel and module MUST be built off the exact same source tree.

Try this:

modprobe forcedeth
(does this give an error or does it seem to work?)

now do:
lsmod | grep -i eth
See if the forcedeth module is present

If it gave no errors and shows up on lsmod, then the module is fine, and you just need to properly configure the ethernet card. If it does not show up or gave an error on modprobe, then we need to get you the right module.

Also, post the output of "dmesg | grep -i eth"

Back