• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ubuntu 7.10 as server issues.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AzAzEl656

Hi,

I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 (don't have the server one) as my file server and I'm having a lot of speed issues.

I installed Samaba Server on the machine and it's plugged into my D-Link DIR300 router. Hard drives have been mapped to my Windows machine.

Now, whenever accessing the hard drive from my Windows machine it is extremely slow and can take up to two minutes to even open up the drive. Burning CD's through the server takes 10 times as long.

I disabled indexing etc. on my Windows machine in an attempt to make my network connection a bit faster but I think the problem might lie on the Ubuntu machine. There are 2 x 250GB SATA Hard Drives (Misc files) in the machine and one 40GB IDE (Filesystem). The SATA drives are not in RAID and they are NTFS.

Are there any ways to make the network a bit faster?

Please note, I'm quite new with Ubuntu but I'm not afriad to experiment with the file server.

Thanks.

I did. I read somewhere that Samba server is quite slow when you have more than 3 people working on it at the same time but it probably shouldn't be this bad with only one user, right?

one thing you might want to do is the run the following command:

Code:
sudo tail -f /var/log/messages
this should show any errors that may be occurring at the present moment and could give you an idea of what might cause the slowdown if it is a problem on the ubuntu box itself.

I did. I read somewhere that Samba server is quite slow when you have more than 3 people working on it at the same time but it probably shouldn't be this bad with only one user, right?

We use samba in a 150+ person environment, I havent noticed a slow down.
If it was linux I would say that your resolv.conf needs to be adjusted as does your host file.

you could try adding your ubuntu machine to the windows computer host file which should speed things up for you

Back