• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AmannamedOogie

Sup everyone.
Hey, I recently added a new PSU to my computer. All other components were the same from the old one.

However, now my computer turns off randomly every so often. Sometimes it will turn off after a couple minutes of being on, or it could stay on for hours.

I purchased a Antec 850Watt PSU from the Quattro series. I've had people say it's a grounding issue, but again, the only thing I've changed is the PSU.

What happens:
I will be working on something, like a movie, and all of a sudden my my audio will to nuts, basically it repeats the last few notes for a while. Then it will either restart (my screen goes black, keyboard turns off; however, my PC lights stay on, fans etc.) Or, my computer will just freeze there until I manual reset the computer.

Any suggestions as to how to fix the problem.
Also, I can get an RMA# from Newegg if the PSU is at fault.

Thanks to everyone who posts!!

so before you got the new psu, everything was fine? it does really look like the psu is at fault
what you can try to do is possibly reformat(or dual boot) the same os and stability test everything, watch some movies and stuff and see if you still have the problems

You could put the old PSU back in and see if you are still having problems.
If there are no problems with the old PSU then it may be a problem with the new PSU.

Solved!!

Hey everyone... just wanted to tell you guys what the problem was.
So, My old PSU was a 580Watt it was by Sunbeam. I've had no trouble with them, they just have very cheap products. I think I spent $25 on it. Anyway, my new one is the Antec 850Watt. My old PSU had a voltage problem with one of its rails. So I had to up the voltage to my CPU in order for it to become stable. Well on the new PSU, Antec has 12+ volt rails which are flawless. Therefore, my motherboard was pulling more power than what my cpu was needing. This produced a build up of current on the motherboard. So, it would (at random) release the current causing my new PSU to ground itself in order to protect the system. This would cause my computer to "restart" by itself.

So, now I've got my CPU stable, which is working perfect. Thanks everyone for your ideas and suggestions!!

Solved!!

Hey everyone... just wanted to tell you guys what the problem was.
So, My old PSU was a 580Watt it was by Sunbeam. I've had no trouble with them, they just have very cheap products. I think I spent $25 on it. Anyway, my new one is the Antec 850Watt. My old PSU had a voltage problem with one of its rails. So I had to up the voltage to my CPU in order for it to become stable. Well on the new PSU, Antec has 12+ volt rails which are flawless. Therefore, my motherboard was pulling more power than what my cpu was needing. This produced a build up of current on the motherboard. So, it would (at random) release the current causing my new PSU to ground itself in order to protect the system. This would cause my computer to "restart" by itself.

So, now I've got my CPU stable, which is working perfect. Thanks everyone for your ideas and suggestions!!

Cool glad you did not blow something up and it all worked out OK.:eek:

Back