• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Reccommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

J-O_S-H

Hey guys,

Im looking to buy a new CPU for my setup as soon as I get some money.

Just need some insight...

Criteria:
  1. Needs to be Core2 NOT i7
  2. Want a QUAD
  3. Would prefer a 45nm Variation

Just basicly wanted to know what would be the best choice. Im looking at the Core 2 Quad 9 series but want to know would it be a better idea to buy a high clocked chip or a lower one and then overclock it?

I was thinking about a Q9550. Would this go well with the setup in my signature?

(And YES I Know I Need A New Graphics Card)

Q9550 would be my pick of the litter.

The PSU has me scratching my head a bit, I have just never heard of them on this side of the pond.

I think your graphics card is just fine as long as you have a decent CPU to feed it. I would go with either the Q9550 or its server cousin the Xeon 3360.
You can OC both those CPUs well past the stock speed of their higher cost counterparts and put that savings into other components if need to. :thup:

Thanks for the response

I had a good feeling that the Q9550 would be the best choice.

Just one question though...

Whats the real difference between the Q9550 and the Xeon X3360?

Yeah, your 9800GT is fine. My 9800GT works wonders in conjunction with my Q6600, so it'd be a lot better if you got a Q9550.

The difference between Xeon and desktop components is simply the extra validation steps Intel performs to insure the chips will work in any environment. Some people take this as extra binning steps and thereby guaranteeing higher quality chips while others see it as all the same stuff. I personally think the chips are the same and therefore buy whatever is cheapest, typically desktop components.

the HS's that come with xeons are the only difference... well that and the xeons have lower vid's which only make a difference at stock speed. thats how intel gets the xeons to run cooler or have a lower TDP. even though the model line has the same listed 95watt TDP, that he theoritcal max heatoutput. if you lower voltage of course you lower TDP when the cpu is under load. when it comes to ocing up to a point vid does make a difference. when going for max oc on a cpu the vid has no bearing on the oc. get the Q9550 and be happy. :)

Since your running P45 you will be better off with the Q9450 or Q9400. since p45 doesnt have fsb wall issues like P35 or X38/X48 with ocing 45nm quad cores.

Back