• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No Hard Drive Detected.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tjr1973

Ok..Just built my new I7 with a all the goodies. On start up, it says

Adaptor 1

No hard disks detected.

I just ignore it and let it go and it boots up. I've loaded windows vista 64 on it and installed drivers and such. I'm even posting on it. I get this error every time I start or restart the computer. I'm using an Intel X58 Motherboard and the hard drive is a SATA WD 750G Hard drive which is plugged into I believe the #5 SATA plug in. This error and getting my HD activity light to work on my new case are the only issues. Anybody got any ideas?

I suggest you turn off [disable] the on board raid controller in your BIOS and see if that makes the message no longer occur.

I suggest you turn off [disable] the on board raid controller in your BIOS and see if that makes the message no longer occur.

From all the research I've done, I've seen this suggested. My problem is I don't see where you can do that.

From all the research I've done, I've seen this suggested. My problem is I don't see where you can do that.

If it's going to be anywhere, it will be in the BIOS... most like likely "On-Board evice configuration" or something like that.

~ Gos

It might be called a Marvell, Siil, or J-Micron controller. In the case of Marvell, make sure its a drive controller and not the NICs!

Well I think I have it figured out. I was aware it would be in the Bios btw. On the Intel Board there are three options for the Controller. IDE, AHCI and RAID. I didn't change the setting from IDE and now that everything is setup they don't recommend messing with the settings as it can cause the BSOD. Being stubborn like I am, I put it on AHCI just to see and did in fact get the BSOD. I changed it back and said the hell with it. If I ever have to reinstall windows, I'll try and change it over and see what happens.

You can change it to AHCI, you just have to install the AHCI driver first.

Kayden, according to Intel's website and the bios you don't need to install drivers for AHCI when using Vista....just Raid. XP would supposedly require drivers to be installed.

Partially true.
If you install Vista with AHCI off, the AHCI drivers are not installed. Therefore, when you enable AHCI, you get blue screens.

So if you want to enable AHCI after an install, install the AHCI drivers and then enable AHCI.

Just wanted to let everyone know, it was the External SATA Ports in the back of the computer causing the message on start up. As soon as I disabled them, it went away. I'm still learning a lot with this new set up and things have sure changed since my old Northwood.

Back