• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help turning an old dvd player case into a media server, suggestions wanted...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nickds7

So I've been stricken by the idea to rip out everything from my old dvd player and put everything from my old laptop into it. I figure that my old laptop would be low power, semi low heat output, and quiet.

The case is a bit bigger than your average dvd player. I can fit some very small case fans onto the back of the drive, the top already has ventilation. I figure I will find a way to mount the dvd burner to where the old dvd drive would have sat, if it doesn't fit I can live without a dvd drive.

Does anyone have any suggestions for going about doing this correctly? Better yet has anyone done this and has links to more info regarding going about this?

I will post pictures later on when I'm able to find it.

laptop specs
athlon xp-m 2600+(sadly its hot, but I think that will change with a new heatsink and more air), 2GB ram, 60GB 5400rpm and 1tb 7200rpm external (hoping to possibly fit the 1tb into the case)

You might need a small form factor PSU to get that inside the case. Also, do you have a microATX motherboard?

You might need a small form factor PSU to get that inside the case. Also, do you have a microATX motherboard?

I dont have a microATX motherboard to use. I was hoping to use what was in my laptop. I don't know much about laptop motherboards so I may just sound foolish right now. At worst I can usb it from inside the case and run a second power cord.

More I think of this more I think this might just be a head banging project lol.

wth the laptop did you plan to still use the sreen for it?

you wont need a microatx or power supply since the laptop has all that, really the issue is just going to be mounting the motherboard, if you can get a DVD drive in, making the cable long enough, properly cutting out the ports on the back.

What you need to do is plan a layout, where will the motherboard ly, from there you can then decided where things will go.

Back