• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 worth it for gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RSDXzec

Disabled
Hi, i want to get a 790i mobo and max it out, get the best 775 quad (Q9770 or something, not getting extreme CPU), 8GB of ram and some nice cards in SLI thinking GTX 300 if theyre as good as theyre rumored to be.

For gaming, should i get an i7 rig or a 775 Quad rig, is there really a difference in gaming?, i mean most games cant even use quads yet, so octo threaded Games seem a bit off.

And if i do get an i7 rig, il spend less on GFX cards etc and probly only get a 920 i7, but if i get a good 775 Quad, i can spend more on GFX cards. and ram etc, so would that be better than an i7 with cheaper GFX cards?

and out of a 4 Ghz i7 and Core 2 Quad, for games wouldnt the Core 2 Quad be better because of the higher FSB?

Last edited:
i dont want to get an i7 because i dont see a good reason too, i mean theres no good bang for buck ratio (for gaming). And i think getting a better GFX card than a supposedly better CPU would increase my performance more.
And im on a budjet, so i dont want to spend too much which is why im considering a 790i.

and does anyone have answers to the above questions

Its not just GPU that helps in frame rate, nowadays if you get high-end graphics cards you need to prevent bottlenecking and overclock the CPU too, which gives very good boosts in overall gameplay. Here is where i7 wins no question, OCing to 3.8 and up is easier, and produces great numbers, especially w/ SLI setups.

Worth it if you want it, you don't see too many saying they got an i7 and it sucked.

- to lifted
yeah but tri SLI and Quad SLI dont scale very well and i dont plan on doing it, il probly only do Dual cards, maybe 3 but i doubt it

-iGFX
well of course theyre not gonna say it sucked, i havent heard anyone say the Q9770 sucked either. But does a game really need an octo threaded CPU when it only uses 2?

is it really worth the extra cash
and how much did that rig cost?

and to be honest i dont really see a point in Quad SLI, i mean i play crysis maxed out fine (with the latest drivers)

Is it worth it? well to me it is.
ive got about 2800 in my rig give or take a few bucks.

Finally seeing and playing crysis at 1920x1200 all settings maxed out and not dropping below 30fps is awesome.
in the crysis warhead bench at 1920x1200 i average 73fps.
I have a thread already on here.

Fear is pretty outdated now though.

i meant crysis, typed in the wrong game i edited my other post
and i play at 1280x1024 with pretty good FPS and game settings on Very high

$2800 holy **** is that USD? I paid about $1000 for mine USD

yeah 2800 USD. playing at 1280x1024 is still a CPU bound resolution. Cranking up the res to 1680x1050 and on higher will take the load off the cpu and put it more towards the cards.

well i dont want to spend sooooo much on my PC im only 15 lol. and im in Australia so my rig was 1000USD but 1500AUD.

So do you think the best Quad on a 790i is the best option for me?

and how do you spend so much cash on a PC?!!!

I understand. I worked a whole year to finally be able to buy what i have (tax time)
Its a hard gamble honestly. If you get 2 powerful cards your not going to see the full potential of them.
Here is what i would do honestly, since you play at 1280x1024 i would get just a single gtx 285 and a core 2 quad.

cool, thanks man, i dont plan on gaming at higher res, 1280x1024 is good enough for me, but i plan on waiting for a GTX 300 series GPU and maybe SLIing that in a few years (if its needed)
But i just want to max out a 790i and see how good i can get it, as long as its cheap and it plays decent fps. And is SLI worth it at low resolutions but with really intensive games?

eg a 6600GT vs 6600GT SLI @ 1280x1024 in crysis?

i mean if i get 2 GTX 280 SLI vs 1 GTX 280 in a VERY intensive game at 1280x1024.

I dont think crysis is intensive enought to test this but anyway.

i mean if i get 2 GTX 280 SLI vs 1 GTX 280 in a VERY intensive game at 1280x1024.

I dont think crysis is intensive enought to test this but anyway.
If you seriously plan to game on that puny resolution why are you even considering SLI?

Back