• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power Shuts off ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Section8

I have had this PC Power& Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR for about 2 years now. It has worked flawlessly. Recently though my system has been powering off just like someone pulled the plug out of the wall. I have tested all the rails of the PSU while running Quad Prime 95 for several hours and none of the rails move at all and they all seem to be rock solid and never fluctuate at all. The system in my signature has been running rock solid for over a year and a half and this is my first problem I have had. I have inspected the MB for faulty caps and everything looks ok on that end as well. Is there some other reason why a PSU would just turn off in this fashion? The fan is working inside the PSU and I don't think it is overheating. My only other thoughts are maybe a virus? I do play WOW and did get a nasty one that hijacked my system after I installed an add on for WOW. I thought I deleted all traces of it but maybe I missed something? The virus hijacked my browser is all but maybe it did some other things that I am not aware of? Thanks for any input. I think I will try a fresh OS install and if that doesn't fix it maybe I will get an RMA going for the PSU? Like I said the voltage is rock solid but maybe something else is causing the PSU to turn off?

Funny, I just started having this issue last week. It was getting worse over time. Ran mem tests, and it would even shut off during that.

Ended up sending my power supply back to newegg for a replacement, threw my file server PSU into my PC, and the problem is gone, so... looks like it WAS the power supply in my situation.

I guess it is just the beginning of your PSU failing. I would try and shoot down the other possibilities first though, like run memtest, etc.

I was having the same issue with my system. Power would just shut off during games and p95. I put a corsair tx750 in last night and problem is solved. I don't know much about the psu that you have, but that was my problem.

Thanks guys. I too suspect that it is the PSU. It never seems to crash though while I am pounding on it with P95 or 3DMark or both at the same time :) It just seems to happen at random times when I am not really stressing the system that much at all. I have a hunch that maybe I am getting some condensation on the back of my Motherboard. Maybe that's why when I am stressing the system a lot it is producing a lot of heat and therefore taking care of the condensation. When I am not doing anything much maybe it is building up on the back of the MB and causing this shut down? I have tried cranking the heaters up in the VapoChill to 100%. I have never seen any condensation on the front of the MB but I don't know what the back looks like. So far after bumping the heaters up to 100% I have ran an entire day without the Power going out. Just seems odd though that if in fact it was condensation it seems that it would cause problems but not this problem? Well we will see how it goes. Maybe I will quit being lazy and pull the MB out and double check the back :)

Back