• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

74G Raptor - 51$ AR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I know this will sound n00by but how can a quicker HDD affect system performance so sharply?
People keep raving about raptors and velociraptors but do they improve gaming performance?

Mainly speeds up your boot time. Real world performance increase in games is VERY MINIMAL when going from a 7,200 rpm sata drive to a raptor. At any rate its a great deal. You could install your Main O/S on this drive by itself and have everything else on 2 500's or a 1tb.

Mainly speeds up your boot time. Real world performance increase in games is VERY MINIMAL when going from a 7,200 rpm sata drive to a raptor. At any rate its a great deal. You could install your Main O/S on this drive by itself and have everything else on 2 500's or a 1tb.

My primary HDD is a bit ropey, it came with my system three years ago and periodically skips during system start up, requiring a hard reset which i never like doing.

Best price i found for raptors though is £82 ($105) anyone got any UK bargains?

Is it worth getting one just to use as a swap disk and a cache for photoshop? I do a lot of photowork on very large files (i.e. 1GB or more)

I use my desktop too much for this to be big enough as a system drive.

The faster drives work wonders on smaller files when they have low seek times (like raptors). This decreases load times of ANYTHING. Load times of programs, load times of video game levels, load times of booting the computer.....

When you get a raptor, you are buying decreased load time speeds... that's what you really get.

Back