• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD problem...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xtkxhom3r

so i have 2 vertex's in raid 0 and for some reason i decided to run a bench on them... this is what i got ...

Image removed due to nudity in the desktop background. These are G rated forums! Change your desktop picture or photochop it before posting it again! muddocktor, Forum Moderator

what do you guys think the problem is?

their running the 1.41 FW...

Last edited by a moderator:
weird thing is they were running fine when i first got them... the only thing i can think of is that i havnt trimmed them.... but the only reason i dont do that is because well trim doesnt support raid... would not trimming them for a couple months make them give me that performance??

well you said it, cant run trim on raid setups. you need GC but the drives need to have the firmware support for GC or trim first. starting to wish i never went raid now...

maybe i havent re-run my bench of the raid setup.. might do that a bit later though see what i get..

i have 24gb free and what is GC?? my drives are just the normal vertex's not the turbos....

Garabage collection, it runs on non-trim supported os's and is used for Raid setups. As TR pointed out you can use that as well but i dunno if it does things differently then GC or if it is the same. i never looked into Tony-trip/PD10...

here is my HDTune i just ran...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Evilsizer/usedagilityHDtune.jpg

i find it odd my burst speed went up... the graph is nearly the same as the first one, i can only assume the drives(partition) were not aligned for your raid-0 setup..

where can i find this gc at? i tried the pd10 thing but i got the same results.. and i dont think the alignment is the problem since they were working fine when i first got them...

You have GC (FW 1.41 is GC ) - (FW 1.40 is TRIM) ..

Big thing to get GC to do it's job is to let the comp idle Without ANY services going on or S1 sleep , need to idle with pwr to the drives one of the eazy ways to do this is to just sit at the bios screen for a few hours now & then ...

HDTune is one of the hardest benchmarks for SSD IMO suggest to use ATTO to just keep an eye on the array and IO Meter to really bench it ...

so gc is something that the drive does on its own huh....

so whats this s1 sleep???

would it be easier just to let it sit in the bios screen over night?

so gc is something that the drive does on its own huh....

so whats this s1 sleep???

would it be easier just to let it sit in the bios screen over night?
sleep is the only way, done in windows... has to do with some command that gets passed when in sleep.
did a bit of looking last night, at first i thought GC was standalone. though as pointed out it is part of the Firmware function like trim. do me a favor though, get your partition alignment, i still think it might be off. casue i still cant see or explain anything else that would make it look like that. the only other thing i can really thing of (highly unlikely to me atm) is some bad nand flash, maybe...

LMFAO.

WTF are you doing running SSD in Raid0? Is 1ms seek times not good enough for you?
not that anyone is counting but it is .1ms :p

Obviously for faster read/writes. Seek time is only half the equation of retrieving data........
indeed, way more speed then i need. though i wanted to try something i have never done before. the speed increase was just a side effect of trying raid for me. loading windows and maps/games is really fast for sure. :comp:

ok ill look into that s1 sleep thing... and as for the alignment dont i need to reinstall windows for that??

no you can still check it, can check it from the cmd line... if i recall right diskpar is for vista and older. for vista and newer run diskpart..

wait ok so after some reading you could check it with listed above. though after reading here, what you need to do from cmd line or windows
techspec6 said:
Commands to check alignment:

start > run > type "cmd" to enter command prompt, then type "wmic partition get Name,StartingOffset,Size". This method works in XP, Vista and W7.

or

within windows, type msinfo32. When the info program runs, navigate to Components > Storage > DISKS and look for "partition starting offset" with a value in bytes. This method works in XP, Vista and W7.

i do suggest reading the link though when you have time.

now if you running two 60gig's like i am, your raid setup/alignment could look like this.

i tried tuskenraiders suggestion. good news, bad news... good news it changed the drive about 100mb/s. bad news it got SLOWER!
before...
Capture5.JPG

after...
Capture8.JPG

Back