• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replaced motherboard, still having problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smoth

I am trying to fix an older system

old configuration
amd x2 4000+ (AM2)
asus m2n32sli deluxe
7900GTX
segate 7200.10 (320gb)
4x1gb ddr2 800
FSP 600watt

I have no spare hardware to test against, so please keep that in mind
The computer was failing to boot such that when powered up, it would turn itself off within a few seconds with any hardware configuration. Having had this problem before I went to get a new motherboard (old one was out of waranty and Asus was unsympathetic even though it had died 2 other times on me). So I just ordered the Asus M3A78-EM thinking that it should solve my problem. Just got it and put everything back together. Now it will turn on and remain on, but I am not getting any picture from either the 7900gtx or the onboard graphics.

Any ideas?

First, just try clearing the CMOS & using one piece of RAM. Many mobos (and some IMC CPUs) have issues with 4 sticks.

If that doesn't work try a barebone out of the case setup. Mobo on an insulated surface with one piece of RAM, CPU & cooler, monitor connected to onboard video and power supply connected as needed. Once set like this, turn the PSU off (or unplug it), then clear the CMOS, return the jumper, power on the PSU & try to boot. See if you get a display & if you can enter BIOS.

Last edited:
Seeing that you don't have any spare parts to troubleshoot with...
You tried using one stick of ram, different sticks one at a time.. So it's probably not the ram.
New motherboard, you had 2 malfunction(or something else defective) before.
You can test the powersupply with a digitalmultimeter to eliminate that as the problem.
The cpu you really can't "test" unless you can find another motherboard for testing. Maybe a computer repair shop?
Same with the graphics card. Maybe shop around to find a PCI video card. I say PCI because these are priceless for troubleshooting and repairing bad videocard bios flash's..

I have tried every configuration of memory and using both the 7900gtx and onboard, but sitll nothing.

Possibly the power supply? I would go out and buy a cheap multimeter for 5 bucks, and test it. Take a paper clip, and bend it into a "U" shape, and insert one end into the green connector, and the other into a nearby adjacent black connector. That shorts out the "PSU Enable" and starts the power supply. Go through and with the black probe connected to a black connector, test every connection, being careful not to have the probes touch each other.

all four sticks? I think that if that were the case, there would have to be some other problem to cause that, would there not?

Do you have a speaker connected to the case speaker header so you can hear beep codes? Can you pull out all the ram & get a 'memory bad or missing' beep code?

I took out all the memory and got the memory beep. It seems very unlikely that all of the sticks suddenly went bad, unless the old motherboard fried them all.

Do you get the same beep with a piece of ram installed, or do you just get the single POST Passed beep?

All I have connected is the cpu and memory and applicable power.

Have you tried ram stick 1 in slot 1, then slot 2, then 3... ram stick 2 in in slot 1, then 2, etc. Having 4 dead sticks would be really rare.

It's really hard to tell if your RAM is bad or if the mobo is DOA without being able to test some different RAM. :(

My motherboard wouldn't do anything unless it had a GPU attached. Just a possibility. Is the RAM actually seated properly? (I almost RMA'd my first motherboard because I was being to gentle with the RAM... VERY embarrassing times ;_;)

I have tried every stick in every slot. I was also thinking that it would be very unlikely unless my old motherboard which would not even keep the system running for more than a few seconds fried them all. Again, though, something I cant test. This is the only system I have that runs ddr2 memory.

It has onboard graphics, but I have tried it with and without my card, but no difference.

So do you actually get anything appearing on-screen? Like can you access the bios? You could always buy some slow DDR2 RAM. Costs about 10 quid for some of the cheap stuff, it'll do the job. (20 bucks or so in America)

Back