• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need your help choosing cpu guys

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goucho

Registered
Hi guys sadly my cpu + mobo died i think lmao. Anyway time to replace them ;)

OK my budget is very very limited and i need to know what would compare to my E6600 or beat it for £90 for CPU.

I have found a Phenom 2 tri core 720 for £90 how does that compare to my E6600.

I am looking at AMD cos the cost is less for cpu and motherboard. What type of motherboard will i need AM3? will they take ddr2 like my intel?

Give me some ideas if you can guys like am i better getting the x3 720 or should i go for an athlon 2 x4 if i can get one cheap?

See if you can find me any cheap cpus and motherboards that deliver to the UK plz guys. I need as much help here as possible. Overclocking isnt a priority ;)

You can get an AM2 mobo those support the Phenom 2 cpus and work with DDR2 ram which you already have. The 720 would be a good middle ground between the denebs and the propus cpus, but you have to tell whT do you do with that PC to give you the best answer.

Mobo's wouldn't really matter if you do not plan to oc. I bought my giga for 110$ it can unlock the disabled core which could turn a 720 into a 9X0, but there are lower end boards which can do the same.

For performance comparison, you could check Anandtech bench beta, or just find a review for yourself.

id get the athlon x4 620 for only $99. good suggestion about bench beta! i use it all the time, i'm upgrading my cpu too.

i think that 4th core will help with the video editing and future games will favor it too.

Thanx m8, i use my pc for gaming and also video editing and encoding but mostly gaming. I don't do both at the same time but when i am editing etc i usually unrar large files in the background.

I am leaning towards the 720BE and have ordered a mobo that would suit both .... would this mobo allow me to unlock the fourth core ??

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2982

As far as the MB goes it can unlock the 4th core. The real big thing with unlocking the cores is the Phenom X2 550 BE. It might be a steal to grab that chip instead and unlock and overclock that bad boy!

Also with the money you save you can go with the better MB.

Might have to upgrade that bios is all, but I know this one can do it.

Back