• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vcore not being read AMD phenom 955 BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

senorbum

Registered
I wasn't sure whether to put this under mobo's or cpu. Currently I've speedfan and cpu-z, both which don't display a vcore. Speedfan is accurately reporting vcore2 (mem) as well as temperatures. Cpu-z also appears to have correct displays.

ASUS 790x mobo
Phenom II x4 955 BE
550w OCZ psu
4gb (2x2) ddr3 ram.
260gtx gpu.

I shall keep researching in the meantime. If anyone has any ideas, they would be much appreciated.

Some motherboards don't report the vcore to third party programs, only their own.
Some don't report at all, or report with values that cpuz doesn't understand.

You'll probably have to get the vcore from the bios's PC Health section (or temp monitors, sometimes. The section name varies, but on asus boards it's usually in the tools section with ACPI modes).

Ok, I'll look around in the bios tomorrow. I'm mostly just curious as to what the 'auto' setting sets the vcore to.

Thanks again.

I'll try both when I get home tonight. Update will follow when I discovering something worth updating about.

I'll try both when I get home tonight. Update will follow when I discovering something worth updating about.

Eh, update anyway. It's not like you're wasting time or precious resources or anything. I'll read whatever you post at least :D

So I was able to monitor via bios. Also, on the Install disk ASUS gives a utility called PC Probe II which is able to monitor temps and also it displays vcore. So, it seems that I have to use this to monitor my vcore, which is moderately obnoxious as it feels and looks clunky. I'm using the latest BIOS version so unless I come across anything else I'll just open PC probe when necessary. Better than only having it in the BIOS.

Oh, and post-work naps are wonderful.

I hate PC Probe. It's junk. But if it's the only windows app that can see the vcore you're stuck with it. It IS better then nothing.

I hate PC Probe. It's junk. But if it's the only windows app that can see the vcore you're stuck with it. It IS better then nothing.
I'm surprised you'd say that. It's nothing compared to CoreTemp or CPU-Z but it's one of the few manufacturer's programs I've seen that actually agrees well with CoreTemp and CPU-Z for vCore. I've never had any problem with it, though I seldom use it except on a new rig as a quick check on the other programs.

I've found that sometimes CPU-Z will show the BIOS setting instead of actual vCore on some ASUS boards - and now I've seen one that doesn't even show the vCore in CPU-Z. Not very impressed by ASUS performance recently except 790FX ... :-/

I haven't experienced any non-asus mobo programs (except for biostar, theirs are even worse), so i may just have unreasonable expectations :p

I'm surprised you'd say that. It's nothing compared to CoreTemp or CPU-Z but it's one of the few manufacturer's programs I've seen that actually agrees well with CoreTemp and CPU-Z for vCore. I've never had any problem with it, though I seldom use it except on a new rig as a quick check on the other programs.

I've found that sometimes CPU-Z will show the BIOS setting instead of actual vCore on some ASUS boards - and now I've seen one that doesn't even show the vCore in CPU-Z. Not very impressed by ASUS performance recently except 790FX ... :-/

Its not that it is awful, its slightly ugly/clunky and forces another program to be open. I'm quite happy I can at least monitor it though.

How is OCCT for stress testing compared to prime95?

How is OCCT for stress testing compared to prime95?

So far in my experience, OCCT will trip errors in 1-2 hours where Prime95 will take 8+. It's far better as a testing program in my eyes. The fact that it gives pretty accurate voltage and temperature readings with most boards is just an added bonus. I've got no use for Prime95 or CoreTemp anymore...

So far in my experience, OCCT will trip errors in 1-2 hours where Prime95 will take 8+. It's far better as a testing program in my eyes. The fact that it gives pretty accurate voltage and temperature readings with most boards is just an added bonus. I've got no use for Prime95 or CoreTemp anymore...
I concur! Though I still like CoreTemp because I monitor temps running SETI as well and it's also good for logging temps when running other stress programs, like 3DMark ... ;)

Back