• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 / Mac networking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Summit

So I was really hoping everything I heard about microsoft finally making networking simple with Windows 7 were true. So far, disappointment.

I have a 2-computer network; my Windows 7 PC is wired into Airport Extreme router, which also supports my Macbook, running Leopard, wirelessly. It seems no matter what I do I can't get one computer to see the other, but I have a bunch of files backed up that I'd like to transfer from my Mac over to the PC.

They both have file sharing activated, the workgroup name is the same for both, I can stream music from Itunes from one computer to the other over the network, and I can connect to the same internet signal with both. It doesn't make sense at all why I wouldn't be able to access files on/from either. Anyone know of a way to fix this headache?

So I was really hoping everything I heard about microsoft finally making networking simple with Windows 7 were true. So far, disappointment.

I have a 2-computer network; my Windows 7 PC is wired into Airport Extreme router, which also supports my Macbook, running Leopard, wirelessly. It seems no matter what I do I can't get one computer to see the other, but I have a bunch of files backed up that I'd like to transfer from my Mac over to the PC.

They both have file sharing activated, the workgroup name is the same for both, I can stream music from Itunes from one computer to the other over the network, and I can connect to the same internet signal with both. It doesn't make sense at all why I wouldn't be able to access files on/from either. Anyone know of a way to fix this headache?

Just to clarify, you have public folder sharing enabled right?

To connect to shared files on your Mac:

On your Mac, go into System Preferences / Sharing. Ensure that File Sharing is checked on, click the Options button, and enable the checkbox for "Share files and folders using SMB", click the checkbox next to your Mac user account listed below (this is the username you will use to authenticate when you try to connect from your Windows PC, you'll need to authenticate with your password for this account as well), then click Done.

Try connecting to your Mac from your Windows 7 machine by accessing \\hostname through the Start Menu. If you still can't connect to your Mac, go back to the Mac, go to System Preferences / Security, click Firewall, and ensure the radio button is selected for "Allow all incoming connections". Go back to your Windows 7 system and try connecting to the Mac again using the \\hostname method through the Start Menu.

Back