Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > General Motherboards
General Motherboards
Forum Jump

HP Motherboard Overclocking?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 02-01-10, 11:10 AM Thread Starter   #1
Judahcavalleri

Unhappy HP Motherboard Overclocking?

Hey Everyone - this is my first time posting.

I searched through the forums and couldn't find another thread on this particular MOBO so I thought I would ask you all.

Ok so I have the following HP motherboard: 09F90H with Bios version HPQOEM 20050518 and after having looked through the bios I can't find anywhere to change the CPU voltage or anything else Overclocking related. I have a Pentium 4 Prescott 3.4ghz HT, which i have seen at speeds of over 4ghz with watercooling (which I have) but I don't know if my mobo can handle overclocking.

Am I right in saying that if a BIOS doesn't have the option to overclock, then i am pretty much screwed? i have looked for newer bios versions without success. I am also in the lame position that there are only a couple of prescott supporting motherboards with also support DDR2 ram (which I spent a lot of money on) and the only few that can natively overclock have terrible reviews!

If anyone has some wisdom I would GREATLY appreciate it! Please also note that yes, I am on a Pentium 4...let's assume that I am unable to upgrade to a better proccessor for the time being and really wanna concentrate on this one? However dumb that sounds, just trust me - this is what I have and I have to make the most of it!

thanks everyone!!!
Judahcavalleri is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 02-01-10, 11:23 AM   #2
Grosjambon

Unhappy

Sry but u can't o c on. Any branded computer like hp Dell etc why because they modify the originL mobo bios and change it for. No oc option. They might be a possibility but it ll void the warranty with hp I suppose I don't know if u can do it. Becausei am not a guru...u might be able to flash the bios but I don't know how to So someone else might aable to answe to this question

Quimonda 2x2gig Ddr2 800----RAM--------Kingston 2x1 1x1 ddr2 800
M3N-HT Deluxe-----------------MOBO-------M2N-E
Antec Earthwatt 650w-----------PSU--------Antec 500watt
Wood Case || Wood Case 02
Water: MCP655 With speed controler / -- mrc320 / ek res 250 / d-tek fuzion v1

HEATWARE
Grosjambon is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-01-10, 11:35 AM Thread Starter   #3
Judahcavalleri

No warranty to worry about, so that's not a problem. Am I right in saying that the bios has to be specifically designed for the motherboard...I cant just go installing anything willy nilly?
Judahcavalleri is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-01-10, 11:43 AM   #4
GIXXERGUY6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judahcavalleri View Post
No warranty to worry about, so that's not a problem. Am I right in saying that the bios has to be specifically designed for the motherboard...I cant just go installing anything willy nilly?
You have to have a bios that matches that motherboard.

try doing a search for it as I will too, but I'm afraid you're most likely up the creek without a paddle.

i7 920 D0 - 3.8 Folding away 1.35v(1.23v load)
Megahalems Rev.B push pull R4's
1tb Seagate 7200.11 Sata,5 500gb
2- EVGA GTS450 1gb
Folding User Stats
My Heat
Thanks for kicking my card in the RAMDAC's
GIXXERGUY6 is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-01-10, 11:58 AM   #5
redduc900
Super Moderator

10 Year Badge

If SetFSB or ClockGen supports the onboard clock generator, then you could use either to raise the FSB from within the GUI. SetFSB is still supported and updated on a regular basis, unlike ClockGen which is no longer being updated...

http://www13.plala.or.jp/setfsb/

redduc900 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-01-10, 01:58 PM   #6
DocClock aka MadClocker

10 Year Badge

You could probably get a good used 775 board like a Gigabyte or MSI, or Asus for cheap that will have the options that you will need for good overclocking.
Seeing as you have a Pentium D, then you will probably need a board that supports DDR400 and socket 775...and if you do a search on Ebay using the above criteria you might find a good deal on a fast mainboard to match your chip and mem.
Good Luck,
Doc

Forgot to say Welcome to the forums!

Old 02-01-10, 03:43 PM   #7
Old Thrashbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocClock aka MadClocker
Seeing as you have a Pentium D, then you will probably need a board that supports DDR400
Huh? He says in the OP that he has a P4 HT, and DDR2.

Quote:
Ok so I have the following HP motherboard: 09F90H
OK, first things first, that's not the model number of the motherboard, so we really don't know what sort of system you have, other than the fact that the CPU is one of the several variations of the 3.4ghz Prescott.

But generally speaking, you're probably outta luck. You will not find a different BIOS for the board... HP generally uses custom-specced boards, often along with different BIOS chips, so there's almost zero chance you'll find a standard retail BIOS that will work.

A BSEL mod would probably be out... the 17X multiplier of the chip would give you an instant 4.5ghz with a 1066 mod, and even on the off chance that the chipset supported it and the CPU could handle it, the VRM on the board most certainly wouldn't take the much higher load.
Old Thrashbarg is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-18-10, 11:38 AM   #8
jazon1

yea youll have to find out what board the oem used and find the same or compatible consumer boards bios,could be risky tho id just do like docclock suggested and just get another board and put all your stuff on it.
jazon1 is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-10-10, 07:12 AM   #9
XpLiCiT GaMeR

I play with the odd bios or two, managed to unlock my HP pavilion a1629 for some light overclocking.

Im new here so a little wet about linking to other forums but since its a bios modding forum I dont see the harm.
http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/
XpLiCiT GaMeR is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > General Motherboards
General Motherboards