• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Added 2nd gpu to my rig :D but need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GIXXERGUY6

I looked at the multi gpu guide but was unsure.

it says to use "c:/gpu1" etc..

I have my folding stuff in c:/FOLD then the respectable client has it's own folder ie.

c:/FOLD/CPU C:/FOLD/GPU1 C:/FOLD/GPU2

I set the adv command to -gpu 0 for the first one and -gpu 1 for the 2nd one in the -configonly

I'm getting unstable machine on both clients.. I know I have something wrong what is it.

EDIT

I have both the shortcut properties reading -gpu 0 =verbosity 9 -local with the gpu number changed for the other gpu, and also labeled this way in the cmd -configonly and still get an unstable machine.

i don't have a dummy plug in the other gpu but neither is folding and they aren't hooked up in sli either.

EDIT

GOT IT WORKING:d

Thanks to ChasR and I don't know what else. 28k total now :D

Last edited:
Also need to know how to monitor temps on both cards. Right now I'm using RealTemps for the one but it doesn't have support for both.

Check out rivatuner for checking GPU temps. It may be overkill but I still love it.
Also you shouldn't need a dummy plug if you add this to your startup line for the GPU2's shortcut " -forcegpu nvidia_g80"
As for unstable machine errors I would download a fresh copy of the gpu folding client and unzip it twice then configure each client manually and create the shortcuts and type everything out rather than copy and pasting common stuff. I've done this in the past and rushed through and didnt realize that I over copy pasted things. Also for your shortcut cehck your Start In: line to make sure it matches where the target is at.

My 2 gpu clients have these shortcut settings for my gtx 260s
GPU1---
Target: F:\FaH-GPU1\[email protected] -gpu 0 -forcegpu nvidia_g80
Start in: F:\FaH-GPU1
---------------------
GPU2---
Target: F:\FaH-GPU2\[email protected] -gpu 1 -forcegpu nvidia_g80
Start in: F:\FaH-GPU2

hope that helps

Additionally there is an issue that i dont think has been fixed yet with nvidia's latest drivers that breaks some things.
I would stick to 190.38 for now.

Last edited:
Check out rivatuner for checking GPU temps. It may be overkill but I still love it.
Also you shouldn't need a dummy plug if you add this to your startup line for the GPU2's shortcut " -forcegpu nvidia_g80"
As for unstable machine errors I would download a fresh copy of the gpu folding client and unzip it twice then configure each client manually and create the shortcuts and type everything out rather than copy and pasting common stuff. I've done this in the past and rushed through and didnt realize that I over copy pasted things. Also for your shortcut cehck your Start In: line to make sure it matches where the target is at.

My 2 gpu clients have these shortcut settings for my gtx 260s
GPU1---
Target: F:\FaH-GPU1\[email protected] -gpu 0 -forcegpu nvidia_g80
Start in: F:\FaH-GPU1
---------------------
GPU2---
Target: F:\FaH-GPU2\[email protected] -gpu 1 -forcegpu nvidia_g80
Start in: F:\FaH-GPU2

hope that helps

Additionally there is an issue that i dont think has been fixed yet with nvidia's latest drivers that breaks some things.
I would stick to 190.38 for now.

I didn't copy and paste anything. I just added the gpu 0 to the original and then downloaded the client again and added it to the gpu2 folder and configured it as well.

you think I should go back to 190.38?
I've been using 195.62 with no issues at all for the single card.

I haven't heard any issues about the 195.62 that I know of but It could be worth a try to roll back. If it doesn't fix the folding issue you can always go back to 195.62.

Also paste in your shortcut lines for the Target and Start in strings
also check your priority settings for thoes clients it will either be set to idle or low
mine are both set to low and i dont seem to have any issues.

I'm assuming that the first thing you tried if your cards were/are overclocked was putting them back at stock clocks to see if that fixed the issue.

Last edited:
gpu1

Target C:\FOLD\GPU1\FAH_GPU1.exe -gpu 0 -verbosity 9 -local -forcegpu nvidia_g80

Start in C:\FOLD\GPU1

gpu2

Target C:\FOLD\GPU2\FAH_GPU2.exe -gpu 1 -verbosity 9 -local -forcegpu nvidia_g80

Start in C:\FOLD\GPU2

your targets are all fine. I would go back and try stock gpu clocks if overclocked and if that isnt an issue i would try rolling back the driver. its probably something really simple that we're missing lol
it took me a few days before i found my problem was just a slightly too aggressive overclock on my 260s was the issue and running the shader clocks back just a tad fixed the issue entirely.

your targets are all fine. I would go back and try stock gpu clocks if overclocked and if that isnt an issue i would try rolling back the driver. its probably something really simple that we're missing lol
it took me a few days before i found my problem was just a slightly too aggressive overclock on my 260s was the issue and running the shader clocks back just a tad fixed the issue entirely.

Tried stock clock and still same thing UNSTABLE_MACHINE

the gpu 0(which is the xfx(old card)) is folding just fine.

beyond driver issues the problem could be the card itsself. If you feel up to it you can try using that one as your primary graphics card and running OCCT's gfx test for a while to see if it runs into any issues. Also run rivatuner or comparable to keep an eye on temps and the fans duty cycle %.
Usually if there is an issue with the card the driver will stop responding and windows will recover it with the default drivers.

Ok i just re-installed the driver 195.62 and gpu1 folds normal, gpu2 starts to go through the motions and my screens flicker and then it stays unstable machine. at stock clocks and OC. Do I need a dummy plug and if so how do I do it.

Last edited:
I'm about to give up totally.

I tried to reboot into safemode and clean the drivers with DriverSweeper and I can't get to safemode because it takes 20-30 seconds for the screens to come up and when they do the mouse is already there for the windows splash screen. This only happens with the new card installed with my old one or without the old one, it doesn't happen with the old card by itself. It doesn't matter what cards are in what slots either.

This really blows

Just to let you know, the -forcegpu flag only works in XP. It doesn't work in Vista or Win 7.

Also, I have VGA dummy plugs that are available to T32 members for the asking.

Just to let you know, the -forcegpu flag only works in XP. It doesn't work in Vista or Win 7.

Also, I have VGA dummy plugs that are available to T32 members for the asking.

I'm using windows7 and its working for me flawlessly so i don't know where you get that info.
In fact it not only works for my other gtx 260 but also my old 9600gt in the same computer.

Back