• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would Dual Booting Be Best For My Converting Woes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I have issues with a few of my burning and ripping programs when used in Windows 7 64bit Ultimate Nero 7 dosn't work and I aint buying the latest bloated version so I bought Ashampoo's Burning Suite after an issue with a lower version it's new versions seems to be fine.

DBPowerAmp R14 dosn't work at all everytime I try to convert a FLAC flie to MP3 for a friend it just fails with LAME.EXE error and then I get screen corruption all the time (see below). I installed it and it's codecs and it just wont work in fact I couldn't even remove it I had to remove the folder from Program Files, and it's reg entries and then delete installers via C-Cleaner from add/remove programs. In fact when a app sometimes crashes like my old version of Ashampoo I would always get this issue, only thou since I upgraded to the HD5770 never happend with the 9600GT I had.

I was thinking about shrinking some space down on my C: drive as I only have 1 and re-installing my copy of XP Pro 32bit just so I can use my program without hitch would be a good idea and if so how much space should I shrink I was thinking about 30GB as I have 432GB free.

Last edited:
I would never give up Windows XP for reasons you stated. Adding Windows 7 or future Windows 8 to a multi-boot maybe but only if I actually use more than 4GB of RAM but never abandon and replace Windows XP.

Here is how I partitioned my SSD,
installed Win7 + only smaller apps on C,
installed WinXP + only smaller apps on D,

then installed large apps to
E:\Program Files for Win7 and
E:\Program Files XP for Windows XP.

Easy and quick reimaging of one OS from the other and vice versa. Use this to switch default OS:
http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=642

The only reason to even think of giving up Windows XP in my opinion is having a 6 or an 8 MB RAM system and actually using all of it, which unless you are folding, you likely will not do.

Attachments

• Partitions.jpg
    Partitions.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 173
I decided to go back to my XP since all my programs work with it that I need to do video editing with I do like Win 7 and will get around to using that software to create a dual boot only issue now is my product is not being excepted.

My XP Pro is legit bought it in 2003 for £110 from a despatch company I worked for, I'll give them a call and see if they will activate it for me I have original CD but my sticker with my product key was on my old casing. All of it is registered to me but I hope they will activate it so I can get back to work.

I cannot activate my copy of XP Pro over the phone I dont enter any numbers till it asks if I want to speak to a rep it then transfers across but they cut the call off is there any other way I can speak to someone to activate it.

Why use xp when 7 32bit can do whatever xp ever could? makes no sense. The only reason to call ms is if you have a corporate li$ense imho. For the average user, it's a waste of time. Up to you.

Last edited:
Why use xp when 7 32bit can do whatever xp ever could? makes no sense. The only reason to call ms is if you have a corporate li$ense imho. For the average user, it's a waste of time. Up to you.

Old thread recovered but I use Win 7 64bit due to me having 4GB or RAM I could install Win 7 32bit but I dont think my license will let me I think it's to version only and once activated thats it.

My XP works but I cannot figure how to dual boot on a non tech level I tried to just partition my 500GB HDD and take a 50GB chunk off for XP installed of the CD and it damaged my Win 7 because it messed with the boot table, so i had to re-install 7 I just need it because Nero 7 works and I can use and have been using it for making sport DVD's for my parents with new menu etc just it dont work in 7 64bit

Multi booting is the way to go (if you have licenses) since you don't risk anything by using different OS. You just reboot into a different OS in case of problems.

Install different OS on different hard drives or hard drive partitions then use EasyBCD 2.1 Beta http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=642

like so

Attachments

• EasyBCD.jpg
    EasyBCD.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 87
Multi booting is the way to go (if you have licenses) since you don't risk anything by using different OS. You just reboot into a different OS in case of problems.

Install different OS on different hard drives or hard drive partitions then use EasyBCD 2.1 Beta

Just wondering. Did you compare EasyBCD with any of the other boot managers out there?

Years ago, I tried something call "System Commander" or something like that. Awful, awful. Would dis-recommend it to anyone. :chair:

I compared EasyBCD to VistaBoot PRO and found EasyBCD freeware to be better.

After installing WinXP, boot into Win7 and in EasyBCD 2.1 Edit Boot Menu, make sure only one instance of Windows 7 is there and nothing else.

Then
EasyBCDBootXP.jpg

Now go back to Edit Boot Menu, and select WinXP. Reboot into WinXP.

I figured it would of been that lol I really need to catch up on my stuff because I'm getting rusty

Back