• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1155 vs 2011 Build Help Please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jdhatt

Registered
Hi guys,

so i plan to build a new rig closer to summer that will primarily be used for gaming and i guess HD media purposes (don't really do all that photo/video editing stuff) and i thought i was determined on what parts to buy until i researched some more on the LGA 2011 socket. i was wondering whether its necessary for gaming to wait for this socket and what you guys expect the prices to be for it? because when it comes to processor i was hoping to max spend like $250-300 (the 2500k that ive been drooling over is only $228) Is the cost going to be somewhat reasonable for the 2011 or does it seem the 1155 is the way to go for me? How will gaming performance differ between the two from what we know about the 2011? i also noticed MOBO's for 1366 are quite a bit more expensive than the 1156, so once again should i assume this to be the case here? for a MOBO and CPU combo i was hoping for MAX $500, but lower would be preferred....the SB 2500k + a decent MOBO comes out to about $450 which is great. any help is appreciated!

:welcome: to OCForums!

LGA1155 seems like the better choice for your purposes. LGA2011 won't be released until the end of this year or maybe early 2012, and it will most likely be quite a bit more expensive too, kinda like how 1156 and 1366 prices differed. Gaming wise there won't be much difference, maybe a few FPS. The biggest difference as far as gaming goes will be native x16/x16 SLI/CFX instead of LGA1155's native x8/x8.

If I were you, I'd go LGA1155 now with SB. Then, you could upgrade to IB in the future if you'd like.

haha thank you for the welcome :) yea i was considering rocking Ivy Bridge for the 1155....does that seem like the smarter upgrade as opposed to giving an arm and leg for the 2011?

Also, you dont see the possibility of being able to a grab a decent one better than 1155 for under $500 (CPU + MOBO)? unless every single 2011 cpu will destroy the 1155...in which im assuming they will all be insanely expensive

SB is pretty incredible, gaming performance vs my previous AMD rig is unbelievable but I upgraded vid too so that isn't apples to apples.

I'm sure it goes without saying but your gaming will have as much or more to do with your video setup. Rule of thumb is to spend as much on your video card as your cpu otherwise it will bottleneck.

SB is pretty incredible, gaming performance vs my previous AMD rig is unbelievable but I upgraded vid too so that isn't apples to apples.

I'm sure it goes without saying but your gaming will have as much or more to do with your video setup. Rule of thumb is to spend as much on your video card as your cpu otherwise it will bottleneck.

yeah i know, i was planning on getting the GTX 570 for the setup....either that or i might wait for kepler....will the i5 SB hold off against kepler? and whats your opinion on the socket? will there be a huge gaming difference between 2011 and 1155? will it justify the price difference

lga2011 octa-core ftw! :) Seriously though I don't think the the 2011 stuff will retail for less than 350 bucks when it arrives. Just like the i7 920 started out. It will no doubt be the fastest thing out there by a mile though!

Intel said they would be releasing a 6 core SandyBridge in the 2nd quarter of 2011.
Links on where you found this information would be great! :thup:

Since I asked you for this before, I have been tryin to look for it and have been unsuccessful. I have only found that Ivy bridge will come in 22nm form, but no concrete nor inference to anything more than a quad + HT being on s1155.

Links on where you found this information would be great! :thup:

Since I asked you for this before, I have been tryin to look for it and have been unsuccessful. I have only found that Ivy bridge will come in 22nm form, but no concrete nor inference to anything more than a quad + HT being on s1155.

Never said it would be of the LGA1155. s2011 is still in the SandyBridge series.

lga2011 octa-core ftw! :) Seriously though I don't think the the 2011 stuff will retail for less than 350 bucks when it arrives. Just like the i7 920 started out. It will no doubt be the fastest thing out there by a mile though!

and im assuming we can expect the motherboards to be quite a bit more expensive than for the 1155? the MB im looking at for the i5 2500k is the ASUS P8P67 Deluxe for about $240

I paid $160 for my P8P67 vanilla. Great if you dont need the extras. Unless you goto the $240 deluxe or $230 sabertooth, you wont see any power gains in the motherboard over the next board and even then your overclock probably will be more chip limited than board limited.

I paid $160 for my P8P67 vanilla. Great if you dont need the extras. Unless you goto the $240 deluxe or $230 sabertooth, you wont see any power gains in the motherboard over the next board and even then your overclock probably will be more chip limited than board limited.
This man speaks the truth. These chips are so easy to o/c. Boards will not be the limiting factor not like the Core 2 days.

so i shouldnt get the ASUS deluxe? Should we expect the MOBO's for 2011 to be much more expensive too? were 1366 boards alot more expensive than 1156 when they released?

Yes 2011 boards will be as high as 1366 boards 200-350$ range.

dammmm....yea ill most likely be sticking with i5-2500k, its much more affordable and i hear its an insane bang for your buck purchase, my build so far is:

i5-2500k
ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 8GB RAM or Corsair Vengeance 1600 8gb (cant decide)
Coolermaster Hyper 212+ CPU cooler (will probably buy an extra fan)
Coolermaster HAF X Case
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB harddrive (will add another 2 later)
Corsair HX850 PSU
EVGA GTX 570 GPU (stock clocked, will overclock it myself)
Samsung P2770FH or ASUS VE278Q monitor (stumped, cant decide)

dammmm....yea ill most likely be sticking with i5-2500k, its much more affordable and i hear its an insane bang for your buck purchase, my build so far is:

i5-2500k
ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 8GB RAM or Corsair Vengeance 1600 8gb (cant decide)
Coolermaster Hyper 212+ CPU cooler (will probably buy an extra fan)
Coolermaster HAF X Case
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB harddrive (will add another 2 later)
Corsair HX850 PSU
EVGA GTX 570 GPU (stock clocked, will overclock it myself)
Samsung P2770FH or ASUS VE278Q monitor (stumped, cant decide)
Everything looks good except for in my eyes your heatsink. While the Hyper 212+ is a solid sink, you are already dropping 1000$ + here, whats an extra 25$-50$ for a better heatsink (imo)

Wheres the SSD man!!! :p.

I'd go the Asus Monitor personally.. I like my samsungs, but the P series is their older models now.

Do you really need 850W? I'm sure 750W would be fine and save you a few bucks.

Hyper 212+ is perfectly fine for SB builds... I like the Noctua NH-D14 personally. But it's about 50 bucks extra :p.

Vengeance kgo. I just prefer Corsair as a brand is all XD

Back