• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4 Seagate Baracuda Drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nickCR

Hello All,

So I have 4 500GB Baracuda drives sitting on my desk. Someone with a Drobo gave them to me when they upgraded to 2TB.

I guess my question is what would you guys do with these? I was thinking of a raid? But I don't really want to fill up my case with them to avoid adding extra heat.

Maybe you guys have a creative idea for them :)

Buy an external drives enclosure and set it as raid 0 to have 2 TB of nas maybe ?

or

If you can find some extra cooling for cooling them inside your rig, if I were you, I will be using them "short stroked" to get crazy transfer speed and superb seek time using matrix raid if you still have enough spare sata ports.

Buy an external drives enclosure and set it as raid 0 to have 2 TB of nas maybe ?

or

If you can find some extra cooling for cooling them inside your rig, if I were you, I will be using them "short stroked" to get crazy transfer speed and superb seek time using matrix raid if you still have enough spare sata ports.

I already have a NAS and my primary drive is an SSD. Kinda like the sounds of the later, maybe a 500GB raid array to compliment my SSD? Would likely keep up with it. Only problem is I wonder how much extra juice 3 or 4 HDD's take? My electrical bill this month was $140 and I live in Costa Rica where the average bill is $40.

I also have a eSata port on the back of my computer if that would help at all maybe as an external hdd bay with hot swap?

Back