• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FPS keyboard configs.. How do you do it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
When you play FPS, how do you setup your keys? Just curious!

Anyway, my setup generally...(this is my BFBC2 setup):

Arrow keys - move.
ENTER - Jump
RShift - Kneel
RCtrl - Prone
\ - Enter vehicle, open door
MouseL - Shoot
MouseR - Aim down site
Webwheel press - reload
LThumb - grenades
LThumb2 - Melee (Stab you punk!)

In games like COD, I use webwheel down to select weapons.

Last edited:
haha im a leftie so this is gonna be horrible
i forwards
k back
u/o left and right strafe
enter enter vehile
y reload
n duck
mouse 1 shoot
mouse 2 aim
mmb knife
h drop ammo,heal
g grenade
right shift sprint
space jump
thats all i can remember

i use all sorts of keys though in different games, 6789tgbnhyuiom,p and backspace return right shift and space

depending on how much crap i need bound in game

Yeah, Im left handed too and have been playing on the arrow keys to move since hte doom
days...

I'm a righty.

I used to use the arrow keys for years when I had a Microsoft Natural Keyboard back in the day (and for about 7-8 years). Ever since I moved back to a standard keyboard layout I moved to WASD and use the majority of the controls as defaults

Keyboard:
WASD: Move
LShift: Sprint/Walk (depending on the game)
LCtrl: Crouch
Space: Jump
R: Reload
E: Use
F/G: Grenades (1/2 if it applies)
V (or sometimes a mouse bind): Prone

Mouse:
MouseL: Shoot
MouseR: Special/Attack2/Aim down sight (depending on game)
LThumb(close) - Quick switch between last weapons
LThumb(far) - Toss item/special abilities/etc
MouseWheel - Melee/Stabby

For the sake of typing when I played with the arrow keys (I mostly played Team Fortress Classic then):
Arrow keys: move
Rctrl: Duck
RShift: Jump (as well as mwheeldown for bunny hopping)
KP_ins(0): use
KP_End(1): reload
. and /: grenade 1 and 2
Del: Prone
End: Voicecomm

(mouse binds stayed about the same)

Last edited:
Yeah, Im left handed too and have been playing on the arrow keys to move since hte doom
days...

i like this ikuo spot cause there are a lot more keys around your fingers to use, if you get good at it you can you your middle finger for forwards/backwards, your pointer and right hand ring finger for strafe and have your thumb and pinky clear for bound things like grenades, ducking/running/jumping or whatever else the game gives ya to bind in other FPS... kinda nice

p - forward
l - left
; - back
' - right
space - jump
rshift - run
enter - duck (if the option is available, otherwise rcontrol)

hot keys for weapons, etc are dependent on the game. This will seem really really wierd until I say I mouse with my left hand.

Mostly playing SC2 now, where in any game I'm probably going to hit any key on the whole right hand side of the keyboard.

Basically follow b up to 7 (BHY7) and everything right of that is a hot key. I play grid layout, basically the keys correspond perfectly with what's on screen.

Leftie herre as well! :)

lmb - zoom / aim down sight
rmb - primary attack
mmb- melee (sometimes wheeldown as melee)
w - forward
s - backward
a - left
d - right
ctrl - jump
space - crouch
alt - run
r - reload
f - use

I use to use the arrow keys to move, but COD4 would not allow the surrounding keypad to be used in multiplayer. So I bought a pad called the Cyba Snipa. Amazing.

Crappy pic of it:

sinister.jpg

Old IBM ps/2 clickity clack keyboard F T W!

That pad is 10 kinds of sweet... nice. Oh and to clarify, I still mouse with the right hand. ;)

That pad is 10 kinds of sweet... nice. Oh and to clarify, I still mouse with the right hand. ;)

Its handy for not having to remap like 80% of the keys.. Yeah I am an adamant leftie and refuse to game with the mouse on the right!

i have the same keyboard. machine gun typing keyboard. i likey that game pad, might check it out

I think it was like 25 bucks.. no driver install. Your pc just thinks it is another keyboard.. Yes I love the old keyboards :) I have a newer black Microsoft natural thing, but I had an issue with it, so I began using this one again.. I cannot remove it! I love it too much!

I can't get the hang of moving with the keyboard, but everything else is fine. So, I end up mapping keys to a PS3 controller... :-/

Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders and Duke Nukem 3D were the only FPS games I felt comfortable moving with the keys.

There is a good selection of left hand friendly mice these days, mostly from razer. If you're left handed, you'll suck at gaming for a month but you'll be so much better after the switch over.

My suggestion is to start with a good ambidextrous mouse like the Razer Lachesis, or the new Steelseries Sensei. I haven't tried the Starcraft II mouse, but I should. :D

I can't get the hang of moving with the keyboard, but everything else is fine. So, I end up mapping keys to a PS3 controller... :-/

Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders and Duke Nukem 3D were the only FPS games I felt comfortable moving with the keys.

I assume you weren't a keyboard turner, right? A/D (or left/right) should be used for strafing not turning!

There is a good selection of left hand friendly mice these days, mostly from razer. If you're left handed, you'll suck at gaming for a month but you'll be so much better after the switch over.

My suggestion is to start with a good ambidextrous mouse like the Razer Lachesis, or the new Steelseries Sensei. I haven't tried the Starcraft II mouse, but I should. :D
I dont rent, I pwn as it is.... :rofl: :p

But sincerely thank you for the options. I will likely stick with my method. Im not competative, had 2:1 K/D ratio in games that do not require tactics (COD4). I run and gun on BFBC2 which leaves me at 1:1. Plus I barely snipe to pad my stats. ;)

I assume you weren't a keyboard turner, right? A/D (or left/right) should be used for strafing not turning!

It's been a while, but I do believe the left/right arrows were for turning instead of strafing on those games.

ive looked at their leftie mice, but i havnt seen anything i had to have or wanna try out for that price. have any suggestions on some? Im happy with my logitech 2 button laser mouse and crappy clickity clackity keyboard :) :comp:

i wouldnt say im super competitive, but im not casual about most fps i play either

btw i like the new facepalm smilie :facepalm:

Back