• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which music player do you use and why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A lot of people think that they cannot uninstall WMP because they can't uninstall it as a normal program through the Add/Remove Programs.
To uninstall WMP(or other built in Windows software)
Go to control Panel
2- Choose programs and feature (not uninstall)
3- Choose Turn Windows Feature On or Off on the left of the screen
4- Find Media Features
5- Unmark Media Features then press Ok

That method is merely disabling it if you can't uninstall any version of WMP > install any version of WMP.

button size change in foobar2000:

godrick said:
1) Go here http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=35270&st=25

2) look for buttons larger than the default buttons which are 16x16

3) right click on your existing buttons, select "options", and follow the instructions to replace the existing buttons with the ones you downloaded

I use use Columns UI to do the above. If you can't right click on the buttons in default UI, then switch to Columns UI (download the Columns UI component, then go to File>preferences to install this componet and switch between the default UI and Columns UI)

Last edited:
Winamp 2.95, just because the install file is sitting on my file server.

I used to be bothered by the fact that it wouldn't do gapless playback, but then I found out that by changing a few settings it would.

In case there are any other Winamp 2.X users missing gapless playback:

1. Prefs -> Plugins -> Output -> DirectSound -> config -> Buffering tab: Increase "Buffer ahead on track change" slider to 1200

2. Prefs -> Plugins -> Output -> DirectSound -> config -> Other tab -> Checkmark: "Remove silence at beginning/end of track" and set "Cut-Off value" to -40dB

I'm a VLC portable fan myself. It plays anything I throw at it, doesn't require an install, and isn't a bloated @#*()$& like everything else. :D

Why go with older Winamp over newer Winamp, other than just being used to it?

I've heard about people not wanting to upgrade, I am new to Winamp so I started with the latest version but I always wanted to ask what the reason was for people using older Winamp?

I've used Winamp in the past, but am transitioning over to VLC, as Winamp has been crashing on the HTPC lately every time I attempt to configure a DST plugin.

VLC has a bit of a learning curve for the advanced options, but the availability of a command line interface and the ability to stream reliably via RTP over a LAN is a plus. (I used to use Audio Tunnel on Winamp, but it is limited to a single stream and has become unreliable with recent versions). VLC's Playlist management is a bit better than Winamp's and VLC remote applications for Android are better than those available for Winamp.

Last edited:
Only thing that would make VLC better is if they included projectM in the Windows version.

Cowon J3. I don't have it but I want it. It provides the best sound quality only an Audiophile can dream of for an MP3. Has a beautiful AMOLED screen and bluetooth, just no internet. Best sound quality on the market.

We're talking about Windows software, not standalone.

Cowon J3. I don't have it but I want it. It provides the best sound quality only an Audiophile can dream of for an MP3.

1. Not a Windows program.
2. If you don't have one, how can you qualify it?
3. Audiophiles only dream about MP3 quality when they're having nightmares.

1. Not a Windows program.
2. If you don't have one, how can you qualify it?
3. Audiophiles only dream about MP3 quality when they're having nightmares.

Bunch of people on Overclock.net have the J3 or S9 who've shared their experiences and I don't know what's up with the windows program thing. Didn't read through the whole thread.

With all due respect, the first post should have tipped you off this was about windows software. ;)

You have been posting a lot of items that seem a bit off like you are spamming the website actually...

I've used Winamp in the past, but am transitioning over to VLC, as Winamp has been crashing on the HTPC lately every time I attempt to configure a DST plugin.

VLC has a bit of a learning curve for the advanced options, but the availability of a command line interface and the ability to stream reliably via RTP over a LAN is a plus. (I used to use Audio Tunnel on Winamp, but it is limited to a single stream and has become unreliable with recent versions). VLC's Playlist management is a bit better than Winamp's and VLC remote applications for Android are better than those available for Winamp.

VLC is fine for audio (usually) but it has some serious issues with video playback, especially anything that has subtitles. Unless they are hardcoded, prepare for subtitle hell. Not to mention some real spotty issues with h.264/x.264 playback. Other than that, it is a good all around player. But I tend to never use it in lieu of Media Player Classic-Home Cinema, and Foobar2000 for audio.

VLC is fine for audio (usually) but it has some serious issues with video playback, especially anything that has subtitles. Unless they are hardcoded, prepare for subtitle hell. Not to mention some real spotty issues with h.264/x.264 playback. Other than that, it is a good all around player. But I tend to never use it in lieu of Media Player Classic-Home Cinema, and Foobar2000 for audio.

I've not watched anything with subtitles, but I've played tons of x264 stuff on both Windows and Linux, and never had any problems there.

Winamp on 2 machines simply because they are older and it works pretty well. (older as in single core Pentiums)

VLC/Zune on the rest, Zune due to my love of the Zune marketplace and the amount of free music I get.

VLC still in use 99.9% of the time, Zune is only used due to having a Zune and the Marketplace giving me free music for rent and 10 free songs per month. (though I found an annoying bug and MS wont respond)

Back