• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which music player do you use and why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think you made a strong case for considering foobar. I do not know what MilkDrop 2.21 is vs. MilkDrop 2.00, I have no idea whether it has anything over version 2.00.

I think that v2.21 cannot be downloaded separately, whatever it is.

All you have to do is point the foobar milkdrop vis at the winamp mk2 preset folder or copy that mk2 preset folder into the appropriate foobar folder location IIRC.

i don't see release notes on exactly what changed between 2.0 and 2.21, but i think its fairly obvious that 2.21 is a more recent version than 2.0. If you view the version history of winamp 5 you can see that they reverted from 2.23 to 2.2 for some reason.

Here's my opinion on why Winamp reverted to old MilkDrop: I independently located the four problematic MilkDrop presets. I then went to report them with Winamp only to find out they also found them and upgraded from Winamp 5.601 to Winamp 5.61, dropping the four problem presets.

So I would think that is why they reverted.

But back on the topic:

1. foobar buttons can be made to be bigger and foobar does have customizable skins, where do we go to get a nice extended overview of the skins for foobar, are there central place like Winamp has them or are we talking separate forum threads?

2. Once again, if you are saying whichever collection of Winamp MilkDrop presets exists - they can be made to work with foobar, then can foobar independently set MilkDrop to display on a secondary video output at a specific different resolution and frame rate. So that you can use your computer LCD to do whatever you want in front of you and all the while MilkDrop is pulsing out of your video card output #2 independently - at its own resolution and fresh rate and in full screen on output #2?

Remember all of this is available under Winamp's options - I'm still not clear on foobar's customization procedures but it would be tough to be programming scripts for this on foobar if that is the only way to do this with foobar.

Last edited:
Thank you.

Here's one specific question. Can foobar do this Winamp feature: output visualization onto a second screen with nothing affecting it other then when you specificly go with your mouse onto the second screen to stop it.

So you would do all your work on your primary LCD, including minimizing all windows and nothing affects the visualization on the second screen. It doesn't get minimized along with other windows - it keeps running in full (secondary) screen no matter what you do on your computer until you specifically go to it on the second screen which is an extension of your desktop but acts as if it isn't for the purposes of running the visualization which keeps running full screen:

MilkDrop2.21c.jpg

MilkDrop2.21b.jpg

MilkDrop2.21a.jpg

Last edited:
like i said, you'll have to try it and find out. i don't use visualizations and i don't have a 2nd screen to test with.

To prevent Winamp from changing your custom set mp3, wav and flac icons, go to Windows Registry locations
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File.MP3\DefaultIcon
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File.wav\DefaultIcon
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File.FLAC\DefaultIcon

Right click on DefaultIcon > Permissions... > Add... > Everyone > OK > Advanced... > Everyone > Edit... >

Set Value CHECK: Deny > OK > OK > OK

I need to setup milkdrop for foobar. Just never could figure it out alone. Oh yeah, answer is foobar.

With as much music as I have, and seeings as I have an iPhone, I use iTunes.
I like the organization of it, and really haven't found a music application that compares to it.

What you use for music player?

As title said , im curios , i always been either using Winamp or Windows Media Player, what do you guys use to listen to your music ?

Does it have EQ like WMP and Winamp ??

Foobar 2000 one of the most customizable best sounding player I have used to date.

Foobar2000 and nothing else. Does everything you need a media player to do and is very lightweight.

I don't use windows to play my music much
I don't like it or the sound quality, but when I do I use audacious. manly for old games and stuff
but some times and more often then less, I'm to lazy to reboot

it has what I want, light weigh (so long as you keep the sample rate converter off) and dose a darn good job
does not like to show the right sample rate or bitrate for some files

Last edited:
Wao already 2 person uses Foobar and i never heard of it before lol, checking it out right now !

Yeah WMP its a hog ! It has so many process / service or whatever on the startup zz.

I heard good thing about foobar, I'm too old school and use Linux alot. so I never used it
almost everyone over at headfi uses it

I use audacious and the old school media deck my GuS came with. I wish that thing was pci and not isa

Last edited:
I'm still sticking with MediaMonkey. Best music organizer and easiest converter to other storage devices I've ever used.

= 0 My post been move to here. O well

Hey guys so i downloaded Foobar , yep its amazing , its simple but great !

The EQ is awesome , but sadly i don't really know how to play around with it......is there any good reference / a sample EQ settings for Metal music ??

Back