• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1100T trying to reach 4ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

l1011

I have got a 1100t black edition, Asus crosshair IV formula and Corsair vengeance 1600 4gb x 2 ram.
I have been able to get a stable 3.9 ghz overclock but cannot go higher it will crash after a few minutes of prime 95.

Help would be very much appreciated, I just want to try to reach 4.0 ghz without shelling out any more money.

Attachments

• IMG_0026.JPG
    IMG_0026.JPG
    809 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    827.6 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0032.JPG
    IMG_0032.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 208
Nice thing those bios shots. Wish more would begin there.

Normally the ones who pro-offer the most help in here wish to see cpuz at the CPU, Memory and SPD tab and a capture of Hardware Monitor from CPUID that shows the all the Voltage Min/Maxs and the CPU CORE temps since in general the Core Temps are what we wish to keep at or below about 55c.

According to your bios capture it takes 1.412 to reach 3.9Ghz. Now the tough part of this is that some silcon reaches a wall of sorts at about 3.9 that takes a serious dose of Vcore to bust thru or jump over. Maybe as much as 1.5 Vcore and that is why the Capture of HWMonitor can be so important to judging if the cooling can tame the heat generated from voltage and cpu frequency.

Have you set the north bridge frequency to equal about 2400Mhz? When the cpu is working faster, often it takes a little added CPUNB which is carrying the ram transfers.

One more thing that can help to determine the worth of the IMC in the cpu is to lower the memory to DDR1333 and/or pull two sticks but leave two sticks in dual channel mode/placement. And test. This is a trial and error thing called overclocking.

Then you can try running small FFTs and if the run time before failure is longer or no falure occurs, then ram tweaking is going to be in order.

About all I can think of initially and again many thanks for the bios screen shots. It is a real treat to see such when one seeks help. Good luck and others like "trents" will likely buzz in to give a shout and offer direction. Two or three heads is always better than one when working at a distance.

Many thanks for the quick and detailed reply, i post cpu z screen shots below to give you / others more of an idea of whats going on, i may need to buy a better case but being a cheapskate just seeing if 4ghz can be done stably with what I've got.

Apologies for the 1 crap picture, hopefully people can still make out the readings.

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    919.8 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0033.JPG
    IMG_0033.JPG
    727.2 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    839.1 KB · Views: 199
Ok i have set the frequency 2400mhz would this be better for my current 3.9 overclock as well?
I read somewhere that AMD's like to have the HT matching the NB ?

I tried bumping up the voltage a bit more with it at 4ghz but i'm not going to continue due to temps i think the problem is just inadecuate ventillation, ive got 2 fans - the top one exhaust and big bottom one intake on the back and another intake fan on the front, would it be better to turn both back fans so they are exhaust any ideas what to do with this case would be appreciated and if no hope of getting to 4ghz then some recommendations for a cool case please with good cable management.

Hope this makes sense. thanks.

Below is with Prime 95 running at my 3.9ghz crank up the voltages and or clock and she can top 57-58 under load and eventually comp restarts.
Looks like i will have to get a new case unless a bright spark comes up with a miracle.

Attachments

• Untitled7444.jpg
    Untitled7444.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 195
  • Untitled444444.jpg
    Untitled444444.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 181
I tried to show what I think the air is doing at the intake of the cpu cooler fan.

The drawing does not have the correct field of view to show exactly what I mean about air flow but I bet the intake to the cpu cooler is not getting good cool air with the two fans in the back just looping air in and then maybe right back out. Have not really thought about what the air passing thru the cooler is doing. Maybe heating the power supply before leaving he cae.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104657&stc=1&d=1327927744

Attachments

• 1case.jpg
    1case.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 244
your right that big fan made no difference to temps at all, in fact might be 1-2 better without so....... maybe bolt that badboy to the front or would be better on top...... somehow - then begs the question exhaust or intake.

Well I've moved the big fan to the front and now at 4013.24 ghz prime 95 is running, so far its topping out at 55 I am just worried that my 1.4 v core and 1.2 nb will be enough

Well I've moved the big fan to the front and now at 4013.24 ghz prime 95 is running, so far its topping out at 55 I am just worried that my 1.4 v core and 1.2 nb will be enough

Years ago and not too too long after I got into overclocking an old IT buddy of mine gave me some information that I took to heart since I knew him pretty well. He said if I had a value for my data to never overclock that computer. He said, I spend enough time on a day to day basis trying to keep these things running at 'stock' speeds. I took that slap to heart because in a year or two I had to have a safe and secure computer day and day out for 6.5 years until the company I worked for dis-continued sales of consumer motherboards.

I had a show-off and run what you brung rig and then I had my safe and secure day in and day out computer that I imaged every 3 or 4 days and that 'safe' computer ran every day for 6.5 years without any problems except that I had to change the ram in it 2 times over that 6.5 years. I took and opened the case every 6 mos and blew out the dust and it never failed to get me to work.

Now I am over here helping or at least trying to help folks with overclocking their systems. In the midst of an overclocking forum where on any given day I imagine there are at least 20 new posts from a user wanting to overclock their system. Every now and again we need to stop and think what it is that we really "need" not want but need.

3600Mhz is plenty enough to not bottle-neck most anything we might do on a multi-purpose system. Much more speed is just gravy that we might get for running benchmarks to compete in contests like HWBot. But we run into that old bug-a-boo the human mind. If some is good then more has got to be better and we jump on the treadmill of speed for more speed.

If the 1.4 Vcore and the 1.2V for the CPU/NB are not enough to run prime95 Blend for at least 8 hours or so without error, then U add volts. If adding volts brings on temps higher than we need or feel is safe, we add more cooling. There it is. More volts equal more cooling.

Most of those thubans can run to about 3.6Ghz on whatever the motherboard sets for default voltage. It is after that; when increasing the voltages, comes into play and for every couple of 100Mhz we get in speed, there is a point where the voltage required to bump up that couple of 100Mhz is just not worth it in terms of heat.

So I do hope your set Vcore and V Cpu/Nb is enough. I hope that Prime95 in blend mode stays at or below 55c. If it does not, then more volts and more cooling or drop it back to about 3.6 to 3.8Ghz and I would guesstimate you might get by with no more than 1.375 Vcore and run it day in and day out nearly from now on.

Sorry man this is not picking on you. This is my once, every so often attempt to throw out an anchor into the world of sanity. Hehehe.:chair:

No thats very useful actually :) someone at work was saying the same thing it is just my ocd or human nature saying 4 4!! go for 4 ghz! :facepalm:

If 1.375 is good for the cpu at 3.6 - 3.8 what about my nb voltage and freq can that stay the same or lower it back ?

If 1.375 is good for the cpu at 3.6 - 3.8 what about my nb voltage and freq can that stay the same or lower it back ?

I said it was a 1.375 vCore guesstimate at those speeds. Not a guarantee.

If you drop cpu speed then in theory you could lower the CPU/NB frequency back down and thus the CPU/NB voltage. HOWever a slightly elevated CPU/NB frequency can help since the ram communicates over that buss. I might put the HT Frequency at 22/2400Mhz and the CPU/NB frequency at the same and leave CPU/NB voltage to 1.2V and try it at the 3.6 to 3.8Ghz and see what the temps really do. IF the cpu CoRe temps are at 50c-ish or below, during an extended 8 hour or so run of Prime95 Blend, then I would call it good to go.

Back