• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

computer has stopped working please help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

B7akk0

Registered
hi! i built a pc about 6 months ago. Tonight i had a shower and when i came back my pc had shut off. I thought this was weird, so i tried turning it back on...now it simply goes to the gigabyte motherboard screen straight before the bios (the screen that says del for bios, f12 for boot etc) then it restarts over and over. it does make the "beep" sound when it starts up.
I have tested the HDD and the ram seperately and i dont think thats the problem. The bios graphic screen still shows up which indicated the gpu is fine. I have reseated everything including the cpu, cleaned all dust etc. nothing is working.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

>Probability of MB failure is biggest. PSU is about average risk (can be dependable on manufacturer/quality)
>HDD/SSD dependable on manufacturer/type and its highly luck based (so there is no change to guess) but if you tested that stuff separately and when they worked, they should be fine.
>RAM is lowest risk that they will get damaged. The only issue RAM usualy got is that there can be compatibility issues but your stuff has been compatible already.
>GPU is probably fine because there would be no picture anymore.

According to my experience, Gigabyte boards will move to Gigabyte screen at first stage. At second stage it will detect componnents and when that is done it will boot up system directly at third stage. So you passed first stage. However, getting a auto shutdown can mean many things, good and bad things:

>The most harmless issue could be a auto shutdown from OS, this can happen when not disabled, after OS update.
>Most harmful issue is when there is some kind of hardware failure on the board (biggest mess to fix). But could be drive too.

What can be done is trying to move into BIOS and checking out if the boot drive is properly detected.

Last edited:
unfortunately getting into the bios isnt an option it's not working :( the lights are still flashing on the Motherboard too.
i have an Antec Neo Eco 520w psu by the way

I agree with Ivy. Sounds like either a motherboard or PSU. Do you have or can you borrow another PSU to either confirm or eliminate that possibility? That would be the easiest place to start.

It sounds to me like an issue with the OS since the board will POST and take you to the Gigabyte splash screen. Perhaps a boot file has become corrupted. Did you ever create a Windows boot disk? How about system backup? Are you running a RAID array or is your system setup with AHCI? Can you try to start Windows in Safemode by pressing F8?

It sounds to me like an issue with the OS since the board will POST and take you to the Gigabyte splash screen. Perhaps a boot file has become corrupted. Did you ever create a Windows boot disk? How about system backup? Are you running a RAID array or is your system setup with AHCI? Can you try to start Windows in Safemode by pressing F8?

Yeah, but he says he can't get into the bios so that would come before any attempt to load Windows.

I certainly would try a CMOS reset before anything else, though.

Yeah, but he says he can't get into the bios so that would come before any attempt to load Windows.

I certainly would try a CMOS reset before anything else, though.

I had that problem once before where I kept getting a boot loop to the splash screen and couldn't get into BIOS. I pressed and held down the F8 key immediately after seeing the splash screen where a DOS like menu came up which gave me the option to enter BIOS (Setup). The DEL key would not work and still doesn't work.

EDIT: I can't be certain about Gigabyte boards, but I know on my ASUS that resetting CMOS removes passwords and any altered BIOS settings from default settings. In my manual, it is recommended ONLY as a last resort and has been known to corrupt a BIOS, forcing one to flash it with a new updated or default version in order to get the system to POST, which according to the OP statement, the board will POST.

Last edited:
Get rid of the giga splash screen. I believe you hit the TAB button to get rid of it as soon as you see it. The point of this is to see where in the POST you are hanging or if in fact you are past that point and going in to windows. At this point, since that splash screen doesnt disappear as it should when it accesses the HDD and attempts to get to windows, I dont believe it to be a windows issue. Sounds like something is hanging in the bios/post somewhere.

It would also be helpful to list what motherboard you have in the first place. ;)

PS - Welcome back PoleP :grouphug:.

Last edited:
Back