• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New OC System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sds5150

Registered
I am looking to build myself a new system (within a reasonable budget). I want to start playing with overclocking. I have read some about it, but I need some help verifying the hardware I have chosen and specifically I need advice for RAM. I understand it should be OC with the CPU. I do not play games although I appreciate a good graphics card. I am known to do video editing, CAD, use Backtrack tools, and tinker with about anything. I would like to get at least 16G of RAM. Please check out my proposed hardware, let me know what you think and suggest RAM. I am also considering a SS HD.

I appreciate the guidance, I don't want to purchase the wrong equipment and wish I had bought something different later.

MB

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2291301&csid=_61

CPU

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2373004&sku=I69-3570K

CFU FAN

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6046364&CatId=798

Good parts, ready to OC this 3570k :)

As for the RAM, i use G.Skill stick for years now and i never had issue with it. I currently have 4 sets of these in various PC. Get an Ares kit, 2x4gb 2133mhz.

Do you live near a mircocenter? If not this is a pretty good start.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    27.9 KB · Views: 56
I have searched Microcenter, TD, and Newegg. Microcenter has some better deals on the hardware I was looking at.

The ASROCK MB is better than the ASUS, huh? I have read about that one.

Mandrake,

This is one thing I was stuck on when trying to decide on RAM

Why did you choose the 1333 RAM instead of a DDR3 2133 or even the DDR3 2800 (o.c.).

Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it.

I would use 1600MHz you won't notice any difference with faster Ram unless your benchmarking the ram.

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231445

Memory scaling from AnandTech http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3/6

QUOTE: I think we confirmed what we pretty much knew all along: Sandy Bridge's improved memory controller has all but eliminated the need for extreme memory bandwidth, at least for this architecture. It's only when you get down to DDR3-1333 that you see a minor performance penalty. The sweet spot appears to be at DDR3-1600, where you will see a minor performance increase over DDR3-1333 with only a slight increase in cost. The performance increase gained by going up to DDR3-1866 or DDR3-2133 isn't nearly as pronounced.

Last edited:
Get 1600 ram and be done with it. There is no reason to use 1333, and no reason to go higher than 1866 unless you are benching or the price is cheaper than 1600.

Do you live near a Microcenter? Most of the prices are in store pickup only.

Mandrake,

This is one thing I was stuck on when trying to decide on RAM

Why did you choose the 1333 RAM instead of a DDR3 2133 or even the DDR3 2800 (o.c.).

Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it.
Sorry my bad, I guess I clicked on it too quickly, go with 1600. :chair:

If you do live near a Microcenter, they usually have a really good "walk in" combo deal on an I5-3570 and a Z77 mobo. I know I've seen it for 169.99 for the 3570 and somewhere around 85.00 for that ASRock mobo above.

No, I do not live near one. I have been to one, my inlaws live next to one, great store!

Get you in-laws to go there and get you the combo deal it will save you $100.00. :)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    28.9 KB · Views: 42
"Get 1600 ram and be done with it. There is no reason to use 1333, and no reason to go higher than 1866 unless you are benching or the price is cheaper than 1600."

Having trouble finding available 1600 ram from G.Skill.

How about this set of 1866?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231456

I was going to go with some faster timings and fewer GB but this is what I have found that is compatable. Is it better to use less GB of ram but with better CL and timings?

Any suggestions on another brand? $100 is about my price. I would like to have 2 sticks of 4GB and buy more later, or if I can get 16 GB for around $100 that would be great.

Again...Thanks

Oh yeah, I have the mother-in-law going to Microcenter! lol
:thup:

If you really need 16g and want the tighter timings, I'd go with this kit

or this Kit

If you decide on 8 gig, this one.

My reasoning, for the 2x4 or 2x8 sticks is because, when overclocking it puts less stress on the Integrated Memory Controller, as opposed to 4x4 or 4x2.

This Kit is listed on there, though it's listed as a 16 gig kit

DDR3 1600 4GB G.Skill F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL DS v 4pcs <---taken from the link you posted.

In most cases, memory is memory and will work on any motherboard. If it's not on the list it just means they haven't tested it, not that it will not work. If you feel more comfortable, then get the one above.

Great! I can stick to using two slots to put less stress on the system, as you suggested. I don't know that I'll need 8 GB or 16 GB, i just naturally want to choose 16 becasue more has always been better. It that price range I'll get the 16 GB or if there is another reason that 2X4GB would be better for this setup I can try it out.

Hey, welcome to OCF! :beer:

When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!

• What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.
  • What is your budget?
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
    1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?
  • Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
    2. Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
    3. Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
    4. In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?

Once again, thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)

What are you planning to do with this compuer? Burn DVD Movies, Penetration testing, Attempting to OC a system, Autocad, Video Editing, Although, I am not a gaming person, I would like to be able to use my 24"' monitor to it's max.

What is your budget? I have a rough budget of $600 for MB, CPU, CPU FAN, RAM, and maybe a 240G SS HD if I decide to spend a little more. It might just be my first upgrade in the future.

Does this include a copy of Windows? No. I have WIN 7 64
Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)? NO, go it already.

Are you from the United States or a different country? US
If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter? About 3 hrs away. I have family there.
Do you have any specific requests with the build? I want to play in the overclocking world
Do you plan on overclocking? No goal, other than learning.
Would you prefer the build to be particularly small? Full Size
Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet? Not a concern
In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading? I will upgrade it as needed.

Last edited:
8 gig of ram is more than sufficient for the average user, with that said I don't know how much ram Autocad and video editing uses. Knufire will be better at helping you in these areas and I 'm sure he'll be able to get together a very nice system for you.

Back