• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Project Log]The Zombie Hour - Online Multiplayer Survival RPG

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
Hey there everyone I back with stage four of my Java + OpenGL game development projects. Previously I coded a snake clone, a simple platformer, and for stage three I added a few 3rd party libraries to extend the compatibility of my game engine to include new OS, and a few other essential features. These additions give my game engine native support for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android/OUYA, and the Rasbery PI. They also bring in support for multiple gamepads / joysticks, and most importantly network support.

The Zombie Hour will be my first full featured commercial game, and defines an entirely new genre. Lets start with a bit of info on what the Zombie Hour is, and how it will play.

The Zombie Hour plays as a 2-6 player game and is set up as a map building board game with RPG elements. Each turn a player will place the next map tile onto the board. A map tile is comprised of 3x3 grid of cells, and each tile will contain some number of roadways on and off of the tile. Each tile may also contain a building which will be randomly filled with weapons, power ups, and last but certainly not least ZOMBIES!

At the beginning of the game all players will start in the center of the starter tile known as "Town Square". Each match you will select your characters class and begin at level 1. A dice roll will determine the players number of "Action Points" available each round which will be used to pay for actions. Actions include moving from one cell to another, performing attacks against zombies, picking locks, searching through drawers and cabinets, collecting items, or dodging a zombie fight.

Character development progresses based on the number of zombies defeated, power ups collected, and bonuses received. Each character class has one special trait in which they excel over the other characters. For example "The Hunter" receives a +1 to hit with any firearm, or "The Scout" receives a +1 modifier to action points received. The characters will have ~6 core stats which they will receive a point to allocate each time they level up. Each character class will also receive minor bonuses every second level up in accordance with there specialty.

The Zombie Hour is a session based survival RPG; Your goal is to help your team escape the oncoming wave of death and infection. As you explore the game world you must keep an eye out for ways to signal for help. Once the team has successfully called for help a helicopter will be dispatched to a random point on the map which is currently free of zombies. All players will have 2 rounds before the helicopter will land and attempt to rescue survivors, and it will wait until 1 round after the first player boards or it is attacked by zombies. Should the chopper come under attack and there are no players onboard it will provide one additional chance to board by selecting a new exit point and flying to it. Should it come under attack again it is destroyed, and your final option is to complete the city, AND defeat all of the zombies thereby securing your teams future.

I recently teamed up with Vailias of polycount who will be providing the art resources for this game. I am also currently in negotiations with a well known Indie musician to provide audio for the game.

I recently got the core chunks of the map working which include generating a shuffled deck of MapTiles, and issuing them 1 at a time. Zooming the map, and moving the camera. MapTile placement validation has also been coded up and working well.

I have begun coding the entity rules, and movement mechanics. With any luck ill have the foundations of the entity AI and player action validation done by the end of this month.

This is not the most amazing screenie but it should demonstrate the general concept of the map we will be working with.

map_working_testing_bg.png

Last edited:
My goal is to reach beta testing in time for Halloween. Well see what happens though. There are still many gameplay ideas that haven't been sorted through yet also. We are discussing the possibility of Team VS Team, Sole Survivor, Panic Attack(timed), and a few other match types. Theres also the issue of additional features, for example I really want to incorporate a MTG style card system, but I am unsure of how much time I will have to get that up and going.

More than likely yes. Steam is a platform we really want to be on, but it comes with some additional requirements. The current plan is to launch in the OUYA market, IndieCity(windows, linux, pi), and on Desura(windows, mac, linux) initially. Once we get some player feedback and get the game ready for the bigtime then it will be headed to Steam Greenlight. Id expect next spring to summer for the Steam release at the earliest.

Back