• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HTPC Remotes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

defiant79

Hello, I'm getting ready to order some parts to complete a HTPC build. I have a question about remotes/keyboard/mice that everyone is using. I've found a couple that sound interesting and just wondered if anyone else has used these or has other suggestions.

First is the Leveno N5902:
http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Enhanc...F8&qid=1361993675&sr=1-1&keywords=leveno+5902

Second one is the Logitech Mini Controller:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Mini...3727&sr=1-1&keywords=Logitech+Mini+Controller

Anyone have some comments or suggestions? While this will be a HTPC there will still be some light web browsing on this I'm sure.

Thanks!

Funny... I narrowed it down to those two choices myself. For no reason what-so-ever I went with the mini controller.

I have to say that I, so far (about a week), have had no problems with it at all outside of trying to figure out how to 'right click'.

Funny... I narrowed it down to those two choices myself. For no reason what-so-ever I went with the mini controller.

I have to say that I, so far (about a week), have had no problems with it at all outside of trying to figure out how to 'right click'.

lol, thats funny! With the mini, I've seen people complain about the function key and having to use it for a lot. Do you find it difficult at all? I assume that includes a dongle that plugs into a USB port correct? Also what is involved in performing a right click?

I havent used it too much (Fn key) really...on Newegg, you can see the keys better and judge if you will need to use it a lot.

Its a tiny Bluetooth USB thing and it has an extension in the package IIRC... That said, it does fine in my entertainment center behind the HTPC case (Node 605) and I sit around 15 feet from it.

As far as how to right click.. NO IDEA, LOL! I have a full sized KB and mouse there for gaming on it if I choose so when I had to, I used that. Not a good workaround or solution but...

Thanks! That is the one I'm leaning toward as well. I've never used a HTPC or a remote like this before. I don't anticipate much gaming (especially since I'm only getting a GeForce GT 630), but I've been playing with Minecraft and the servers so there is a chance that others in the house may want to play that on it lol.

Thanks again!

Press FN + mouse pictured button(Top left) to do a "right click" its literally the picture of the mouse with the right click button shaded white.

I actually was looking at both and went with the lenovo, actually i was looking at Logitech Mini PC Entertainment Dinovo Keyboard which is cheaper and it appears to be the "same thing" but maybe i'm missing something though :screwy:
This is a good thread for info on the logitech https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669975 I think there is also a review on the lenovo also but i cant seem to find it at the moment.

I would love to tell you my experience with the lenovo but i had it maybe for all of 15mins before a friend saw it and really liked it and now its helping a pregnant wife from not having to get up all the time :D
What i can tell you from the very brief experience is that it's almost exactly what i wanted to use with my htpc running xbmc. The only concerns that i have is that the trackpad is similar to what blackberry's use and everyone i know has had problems with their blackberry pads.
The next thing of slight concern is the manufacturer stated 3 months battery life, i'm really hoping this is really at least 3 months actual operational time utilizing the off button, than have to be changing the battery's every 3 months.
I can tell you it worked fine on a mac book pro even though they dont actually state mac support. It felt light weight and comfortable to hold and use but i found myself hitting the shift key when trying to copy & paste instead of ctrl due to the layout of the keyboard, slight annoyance there.
I'm also not sure if the logitech has or can also do but i found the ctrl-alt-del and alt-f4 buttons on the lenovo to be absolutely invaluable along with the scroll pad. Also from my understanding the logitech only works in either touchpad mode and you then have to toggle the switch over to get the arrow keys function, maybe someone can chime in and verify this.

All said i'm pretty sure i'm going to reorder another one as i had a pretty much positive even though really brief experience.

Does the room layout let you use a long USB cable and a hub? The worst part about Bluetooth keyboards and mice is that the batteries always seem to run out while you're in the middle of something important. Also, the hub makes for a nice way to connect USB drives as needed.

There are two versions on this, one is Bluetooth (thediNovo Mini), the other uses the Logitech Unifying receiver (IR?, Mini controller). But the mini controller doesn't have any PC software so there isn't much you can change or customize, but it has longer range than the other. I've played with it a bit on my desktop (still putting the HTPC together) and it seems to do the trick. The mouse pad bit is a bit small, but turning up the mouse speed will probably help with that.

I bought a cheap WiFi enabled Android tablet. With my HTPC hosting a remote keyboard/mouse app and my tablet running the matching client, my tablet becomes a large-ish track pad and keyboard. Works great and I can do basic internet stuff to with my "remote".

I don't have to be close to the HTPC to use my tablet/remote either. I just have to be connected to my WiFi which gives me greater mobility and usage.

i may be late to the party, but we have a logitech k400 and it has worked really well. the touchpad is responsive enough and the keyboard does the trick when in a pinch.

that's fair, i occasionally browse the internet on the TV (youtube, reddit, OCF, etc) and being able to type is nice (as well as keyboard shortcuts for xbmc/etc)

I have the Lenovo and it works great. I still am partial to a harmony for getting around in media center, but in windows the Lenovo is great.

Back